New project, Chinese Cart

Bill Hudson

For those of you patiently watching my progress on the cart. (thank you) A tiny bit of progress. I have finished building the metal tires for both wheels. Spring yard work (among other things have gotten in the way). tire - 1.jpg

The metal tires look great and the 297 holes in each hub required the patience of a saint!

1 hour ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

The metal tires look great and the 297 holes in each hub required the patience of a saint!

Actually that is not the hub it is the fellies. Each section of the wheel is a felly. The hub is the center of the wheel and is AKA as nave. ;)

Today I cut down larger white oak  boards to spoke blanks, 36 + a couple of spares. I will shape the spokes from these later.

1064396979_spokes-1.jpg.96c5e9825dc4b633e2706b1eff42f178.jpg

This afternoon I made a tenon cutting tool from brass tube. This cuts the tenon on the end of the spokes to fit in the holes in the hubs. I cut slots about a 1/16" down the tube then sawed off one corner to each slot to make a rudimentary saw teeth. You have to be aware of the direction the material turns and cut the teeth for that direction. I use the cutter in my tailstock chuck and the spoke mater inline my four jaw SS chuck. It makes pretty fast work. The spokes are not shaped at this time.

cutter - 1.jpg

cutter - 1 (1).jpg

cutter - 1 (3).jpg

cutter - 1 (4).jpg

• Like 1

This is a fine example that the correct tool makes the work much easier!  cutting the tenons to specific measurement on my lathe would require lots of intentional planning on my part, to stop my cross slide to a specific measurement and not turn the tenon to a dimension that was too small and then needing to use a filler like chair loc. 

Thank you for letting us be a part of your miniature project as it is fun to hang out in your workshop on a virtual basis!

• Like 1

Just a teaser. Wheel parts just roughly in place and stacked up to give an idea of what the wheels will eventually look like. I still have to shape the spokes and drive in all the nails. 

test.jpg

• Like 1

I admit it; I have never made a wheel, although wheel making activities is on my really long list of things to learn to make. 

How do you get the spoke into nave and the felly?  If the felly is already assembled, I don't know how it is assembled.   If it is supposed to remain a mystery, I am good, but if it doesn't have to remain a mystery, I am definitely curious.

In real life the segments would not be glued together.  Holes would be drilled in the inside edge of the fellies. The hub would have rectangular slots in it and the spoke head would have a corresponding tenon. Each spoke would be driven into the hub until the spoke shoulder is tight against the hub. The spokes are then marked for inside wheel diameter  and then are tenoned with a tenon tool.  Then the spokes are forced into the holes in the fellies. This takes some effort and is helped along using a heavy hard wood maul. The metal tires are welded together to form a large hoop.  These are heated in a fire which expands the metal and it is then driven over the wheel. Once the tire is set properly it is doused with water to shrink the tire onto the wheel. 

Converted my indexing fixture to a wheel assembly fixture. The spokes have been glued in and once the glue dries well I will start shaping the spokes. 

spider - 1 (1).jpg

spider - 1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To mark off the spokes to even lengths and keep hub centered in the wheel, I turned a pin that fits snuggly into the hub.  I center drilled the top so  that the point of  a compass can be placed in it to draw the spoke lengths.

pin - 1.jpg

pin - 1 (1).jpg

• Like 1

I was imagining the use of overhead dremel pin router for the next step, so I am looking forward to seeing how you will complete this critical task, as I know this wheel will turn perfectly.  (I have future flashes of wobbly wheels...)

1 hour ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

I was imagining the use of overhead dremel pin router for the next step, so I am looking forward to seeing how you will complete this critical task, as I know this wheel will turn perfectly.  (I have future flashes of wobbly wheels...)

I don't have a Dremel pin router. ;)

I bought mine because of Jack Blackham's class that I attended at Guild School, and my first year of attendance in 2006.  The tables that he made for the pin router - began my quest to chase cool tools.  The Dremel pieces are 'prehistoric' from today's tools, but I'm still using them and they work fine, and no computer is needed!

A sled to fit on my belt sander was built from some scrap. The wheel spider was mounted on it and each spoke was sanded to length. I took a little off at a time using a hammer to tap the sled forward. The wheels shown are not completed. The spiders are just held in by friction. I still have to shape the spokes and make and install the metal bands on both ends of each spoke.

sled - 1 (1).jpg

wheels - 1 (1).jpg

wheels - 1.jpg