Getting measurements

Bill Hudson

This will require to use you noggin a little. It will work of rebuilding, furniture etc. I put it together for my very first class at the Guild School in 1988. Time does fly.

post-35-0-19421300-1399086355_thumb.jpeg

post-35-0-49713000-1399086373_thumb.jpeg

post-35-0-55307400-1399086392_thumb.jpeg

post-35-0-08665800-1399086412_thumb.jpeg

This is great! It is just the kind of threads we were hoping for when the forum was devised. Useful to all types of miniatures.

Thank you.

Thank you Bill, this will be a great help, just a question, is it possible to use this method if you have no dimensions at all? And if it is what would be your reference for getting your first measurement?

Elga,

For this to work you need two measurements, real or estimated; I suppose you could do so with out a real measurement but you do need at least one vertical measurement and one horizontal. If you know your subject well enough you could estimate, such as knowing how high a door is and how wide the opening would be or maybe even window if working with a photo of a building. If you were working with a chair then you could use the standard seat height and width.

Great post Bill! This is definitely an invaluable technique if you're left with only photo's or other 3 Dimensional pictures. I've used it on occasions too, and once you get the hang of it there's no limit to what you scale down into plans.

Wonderful info no matter what kind of miniatures one creates. Your posts are so very interesting, thanks Bill.

Thank you Bill! I am printing this out for reference and study-----Linda

Archived