Georgian inspired study 1:12

abcd

Artist, this looks great!  The waterbased products look like they serve you well... I have never used any... I like oil... I have some molding that I need to paint, so I had them out for sanding sealer, and it is like a sauna outdoors, so no finishing here.  Congrats on your progress --> details are great!

Thanks!

Yes, the waterbased urethane has worked very well, I had the two quarts left over from refinishing an oak pew a while back, it worked beautifully. I cant wait for oil based stuff to dry, not with the dust at work and the dust and dog hair at home- it has to dry FAST.

3 applications over sanding sealer and it's good to go, you can even see the reflection from the brass doorplate shining under the chair if you look close.

Now that some of the parts I ordered from the UK arrived, I have the ceiling cornice all installed. The fireplace overmantle is one of two I ordered from two different people in the UK to see which I like better and which works better with the elaborate fireplace I'm waiting on, for now I just have this overmantle resting on top of the to-be-replaced fireplace which is too small.
The "marble" hearth floor fits perfectly over where I had the brick one- the new fireplace is wider than this old one so the hearth floor had to be replaced and I got one sized for the new fireplace.

The overmantle is only primed, I haven't decided yet on the paint for it and the fireplace, both are white plaster and the fireplace will need to be primed first. I also am waiting for the fireplace to get here before I can finish the wainscotting.

Artist,  I'm glad that you told us about waiting for the fireplace decision before finishing the wainscoting, as I haven't done a raised panel room for a while, a LONG while, so this is a great reminder.   I appreciate the detail in the fireplace, the brick looks used and not new.  Did you make your own bricks for the interior of the fireplace?  

It has been fun seeing your progress!  After the fireplace decision and finishing the wainscoting, what is next in the project?

On 9/2/2018 at 8:41 PM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

Artist,  I'm glad that you told us about waiting for the fireplace decision before finishing the wainscoting, as I haven't done a raised panel room for a while, a LONG while, so this is a great reminder.   I appreciate the detail in the fireplace, the brick looks used and not new.  Did you make your own bricks for the interior of the fireplace?  

It has been fun seeing your progress!  After the fireplace decision and finishing the wainscoting, what is next in the project?

Yep, it's one of those thing where you cant finish one part until you finish something else, and so with the wainscotting I can't finish that until I have the fireplace completely done and set in place, then I'll have to come up with what's needed to wrap the wainscotting to it's sides. The fireplace is about 6" wide, the wall is about 7", so there will be about a 1/2" wall on both sides to the corners that have to be finished with something, a 1/2" wall is too little for a section with any panels, so it will have to be some filler moldings.

The replacement fireplace is coming from Alison in the UK, I don't know why she doesn't keep a few on hand ready to ship, they take so little material it would make more sense, but her web site says she casts them to order and that it takes 3 weeks. The fireplace is fantastic though and it's going to "make" the room.

I also have an overmantle from her coming too, so either that one or the one pictured will be what I'll be choosing from.

The bricks came from Andy's, I could make my own but realistically when a whole bag of them were something like $6 it just makes sense to let someone else do that kind of thing.

I didn't do anything special to them other than applying the mortar and wiping the excess off with a damp rag. There is a black colored fireback in there from the UK  but it can't be seen in the photo.

My one issue with the replacement fireplace is the opening is smaller and the top of it's opening is 1/4" higher up than what I made, but the 1/4" won't likely be an issue, I'll have to see about the opening because the design around the opening itself cant really be trimmed open larger without messing up the decorations on it, it would be either remove that completely or leave it. This can be seen in the attached photo.

After the fireplace and wainscotting are done then comes the ceiling and I haven't gotten that far yet, I have the plywood for it but I haven't decided on the ceiling treatment yet, but it will have something dramatic, either designs or coffered.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally received my fireplace almost 6 weeks after and it came with an inside corner broken off, no doubt customs inspection caused that, but since I had mostly decided the inner section would be trimmed out to make the opening larger to fit my existing hole it didn't matter. Still, it arrived still very damp which tells me all the time went by and it wasn't cast until I inquired about the status about 3 weeks after I ordered it.

So I needed to decide which overmantle to use out of the two I ordered, I like both, the first one's style fits the room better, the 2nd one matches the fireplace better and is taller- it came with a "mirror" so if I use that one it won't have a "painting" it will have a "mirror" instead.

You can see how I trimmed the inner section of the fireplace to open it up closer to the size of the wall opening, it can also be seen what I need to do to finish the wainscotting.

Artist, glad to see the fireplace arrived, and glad that you were able to use it under the circumstances of its arrival.  It is a beautiful fireplace.  I struggle with fireplace decisions, and I have a bunch of them as evidence of my indecision, so I don't envy your decision about an overmantle!

I have fireplaces from Mr. Crescente and Mr. Payne and others that I have collected over the years; the only fireplace that I know I will not struggle with is the one that will result from the Guild Study Program, that room is all planned in my head as I hope to model after the Thorne Room, but may change the wallpaper.

I decided to use the taller overmantle anyway- need the height of it to look better than the other one would, now to figure out what finish to give them...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the fireplace and overmantle painted now, so next comes grouting the bricks and then attaching the fireplace and overmantle to the wall, then I can finish the wall trim and panelling.

Artist, I like the gold accents - it looks like you are close to finishing the project.  The angled wall provides a nice design element to showcase the fireplace and overmantle.  I am looking forward to your next update to the FMF.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:41 PM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

Artist, I like the gold accents - it looks like you are close to finishing the project.  The angled wall provides a nice design element to showcase the fireplace and overmantle.  I am looking forward to your next update to the FMF.

Yeah it's progressing as I find time! I'm a lot happier with this fireplace and overmantle. I need to fill in the seams in the ceiling cornice and also come up WITH a ceiling, I haven't given a lot of thought to the ceiling but I have the chandelier for it.

I did some more work on my roombox today though, the fireplace and overmantle are now installed, the bricks mortared, and the wainscot and filling- on the left side of the fireplace are installed but not visible behind the desk, a similar fill piece is dry fitted on the right side of the fireplace and the wainscot on that side of the room needs to be painted and glued in yet.
I drilled 2 tiny holes into the wall behind the overmantle so I could push a couple of 1/2" long brass escutcheon pins thru the frame to mechanically hold it to the wall at the top, a dab of PVC-E glue on it's "feet" secure it to the top of the mantle.
I will be looking for more pieces of furniture and chairs, and a small rug.
The pictures were just taped up for the photo and are not permanent just yet.

I might give some gold highlights to the fireback because it has details that are lost in the black finish and the shadow.

• 4 years later...

Hi 

I’m new to the forum and can’t see any of the photos from this project. Is there some setting I need to change?  

Thanks. D Taylor, DVM

@D Taylor ...   although many of these posts seems to describe photos, it looks like there are only two posts that actually contain photos (both on page 1 of this thread).  Here is the link to one of the two.   See if that shows you a picture ...

Hi D Taylor,  I think in the very first post of this topic, there was a photo...

hmmm....