Spindle Duplicator Anker Design?

WeekendMiniaturist

The tag on eBay listing number lists a "Klein Design" duplicator with a Buy it Now Price of $24.95.   Shipping seems a little high, perhaps the cost is high because they don't want to disassemble for shipping purposes.

eBay item # 312151208442 

I set mine up to turn on a dremel lathe for my miniature club, but round that the inability to hold wood on that blasted bad spur chuck nearly impossible; but I'm sure it could be used with a different small desktop lathe, like Sherline, Taig, perhaps a Unimat 3...? It is too small for the chinese metal lathes, in my opinion, even at 21" length of the item listed on eBay.

I don't recall a lot of women in the woodworking world who have published books, but Bonnie Klein has some very interesting techniques for small turnings in her books; I purchased one of her books.    Although the sticker on the bottom left indicates "Klein" designs; the plans for this duplicator are also sold on eBay - search Anker Duplicator.  I could be making assumptions, as I was not creating miniatures during the time Anker was selling the duplicator.

Bonnie bought out Anker.  He was using Taig lathes as his main lathe and the duplicators were designed to fit the Taig. 

Thanks Bill, the mystery of who created this wonderful design first is solved for me.  For those interested Bonnie Klein had two books published in my research on Abe Books:

If my memory serves me this morning I think I purchased the first book and need to add the 2nd to my list.  

Classic Woodturning Projects with Bonnie Klein : 12 Skill-Building Designs

Published by Fox Chapel Publishing Company, Incorporated

ISBN 10: 1565232607 ISBN 13: 9781565232600

Small Woodturning Projects with Bonnie Klein

Published by Fox Chapel Publishing, United States (2013)

ISBN 10: 1565238044 ISBN 13: 9781565238046

A post-script thought this morning.... the reason why I believe the duplicator doesn't work with a Chinese Metal lathe, is I don't think the Bonnie Klein listed in this auction has enough height for the cutter to meet the center of the head stock.  Therefore if a Chinese Metal lathe owner would want to duplicate wood on the metal lathe, the Anker Design would need to have more height.  

At one time I had my duplicator adapted to mount on my Chinese 7 x14 metal lathe and later to my 9 x 19 metal lathe.  It can be done but you are eventually limited in diameters. 

I will probably remove it from the Dremel and mount it on a taig lathe; I need a new board, though because my board doesn't have enough space to mount the duplicator in from on the Taig lathe; I will have to get husband to purchase me some thicker MDF or bring home some scrap; I really prefer a white formica type base, as it is easier to see items laying around the base of the lathe with the white contrast.

• 8 months later...

That lathe duplicator design that was sold by Anker, then Bonnie Klein and  later on Carba-Tec is still availble .

You can still get one from Penn State Industries.  You will likely need to modify the base  plate for your lathe to get it to the right height unless you have a Carb-Tec lathe. 

Here is the link to purchase one (or just see what they are talking about)

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/carba-tec-duplicators.html

If you need templates, you can make your own from strips of brass using files to shape the profile.

<grin> another friend emailed last night and she was using her duplicator and creating lots of spindles!  I love this topic.  I think I can replace any of the pieces as necessary to get the duplicator to the correct height.  I am thrilled to have an Anker Duplicator and I found one of those wonderful telescoping square accessories for it to, from my dearly departed mini club mates' estate, that work on the dremel.  Even though I have mostly given up on my sad dremel, I love the little accessory.

Does anyone know the kind of material that was used for the duplicator's pieces?  It appears to be some kind of acrylic material?

I got Sherline to make me  a square ww collet for my project, to help me hold the small square pieces.  It is still busy season at work and late Spring  I am traveling with a group of friends, so I don't know how much I will accomplish until I return from the trip.  But I suspect beginning in June,  a Staircase will be born if I can get the spindles duplicated.

Does the dimension of thickness of brass matter when using a duplicator?  It has to be thick enough to not bend, obviously, but what are the other criteria for creating your patterns?

On 3/1/2019 at 7:43 AM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

I think I can replace any of the pieces as necessary to get the duplicator to the correct height. 

The delrin piece that supports the cutter arm can be adjusted up/down.  I don't think you'll have to replace anything.   

I am also not using an original-equipment cutter - plus I have it installed with the cutting point rotated ever so slightly off of vertical (I can see it but I'm reluctant to change it because I've made some parts and I want the others to match).  Either of those things could easily account for my issue, which is somewhere on the order of about 0.012" (best guess).   I guess what I'm pointing out is that each time you take out your cutter to sharpen it, or change cutters the height could change ever so slightly so adjusting the delrin is more practical than changing things out for a permanent set-up.  

I'm just setting a thin brass shim atop the delrin and that's working fine.  I'm not motivated to tear it apart and diddle with the height right now in the middle of my run of spindles.  

EDIT:  After re-reading Karin's post, I now realize that she's talking about matching the height on a macro level and I was talking about the micro-fine adjustments. 

On 3/1/2019 at 7:43 AM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

Does the dimension of thickness of brass matter when using a duplicator? 

I recommend 0.015" thick brass for the template.  I have a bunch of blanks that I got from either Tom Walden or Pete Boorum and they are all about 0.015" (OK, maybe some are 0.016").   I think those will last forever.   If they were thicker, it would be harder to cut them with the jeweler's saw.   I have some unrelated 0.010" thick brass and it is *way* too flimsy to use for the template.

I used steel binding (banding) strap for making my templates. Can cut it with Jeweler saw or use abrasive disc in 

Dremel tool to shape. 

The support piece at the back of my Klein duplicator is made from white/natural colored UHMW plastic, it is not delrin. Not that it matters  as they are both slippery plastics. But they do have other properties that are different.

23 hours ago, karincorbin said:

The support piece at the back of my Klein duplicator is made from white/natural colored UHMW plastic, it is not delrin

Oh, good catch.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Archived