Styrofoam

Bill Hudson

I remember there used to be a styrofoam that broke up into little balls/beads when crumbled.  Any one know where I can find a few pieces? 

Bill Hudson

how small do you want the styrofoam balls to break into?  I know I have a piece in my basement.

• 1 month later...

Bill, that's the old cheap 1" thick styrofoam insulation that Menards or Home Depot has... If that's the right stuff you are thinking. But the balls are just a tad under 1/8" is that the stuff you are thinking?

-Jason

I have never measured popcorn before but if Popcorn in life size is 1", then popcorn in 1/12th would be .08333

1/8" = .1250

So I think 1/8" stryrofoam is 1/3 too large.  I think the only way to make realistic popcorn, is to make it. Crayola Air Dry Clay is very easy to work with, it isn't messy.  It can stick to your hands but some baking powder or baby powder eliminates the sticking to your hands.  You can use an old ball nose end mill to make the cavities of the popped popcorn.

Hey... there might be another option. Nickelodeon toys used to offer something called "Floam" which was a lightweight styrofoam sculpting medium. I think these things are smaller than styrofoam insulation.

Jason

Bill, if you aren’t familiar with floam, I can measure some for you. The grandchildren use it in slime production. Some supplies are stored here in my workshop because their mother thinks it makes too big of a mess!

Martha in Louisiana

Archived