Miniature Drill Bits, Taps & Dies

WeekendMiniaturist

I am contemplating my drill bit options...  this company had some interesting options, and I wonder if anyone has purchased their products and have any experience with the quality of harvey tool.

http://www.harveytool.com/prod/Miniature-Drills/Holemaking---Threading/Browse-Our-Products_275/Miniature-Drills_126.aspx

I have a small Harvey corner rounding end mill and it has worked fine.   However ....   I don't think you can order directly from them and most distributors have large minimum orders.   If you decide you want some Harvey tools, I have bought through Blackhawk Industrial.  They were willing to sell me a single endmill, although their policy may have changed. 

http://blackhawkid.com/TheShop_at_BlackHawk.html

Thanks MM, I did catch that they distribute, and I've got a couple of options where I can pick up tools when I'm out on calls for work... instead ofnormal lunch breaks when I'm out of the office for appts, you will find me picking up my mail orders...  It is good to know that the quality has worked for you, I appreciate the feedback.

• 6 months later...

My GOD, does anybody on here actually pay those prices for carbide drills from that site - Harvey Tool ?

For a 1mm or 0.040" drill, they are asking US 12.90 PER DRILL, that's absolutely outrageous,  it's only a carbide drill and anybody can break one real easy, wow.

E-bay for me,  lot's of sellers and lot's of different sizes at very reasonable rates, they still drill a hole the same as what those robbers are selling.

Look for the set of 10 drills in a packet, somewhere from 8 to 14 bucks for ten of them.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-10pcs-3-175mm-Shank-1-0mm-Micro-Drill-Bits-PCB-Print-Circuit-Board-Carbide/262872251762?epid=891978727&hash=item3d34683d72:g:mlgAAOSwMbRbbbHW

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Carbide+Tungsten+Steel+Micro+PCB+Drill+Bit+&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

Greenie, you warm my heart this morning, and now I can't even remember why I wanted that specific drill bit... I think I was looking for a drill bit for brass for the pre-drill for tap & die process.  I get a little crazy when I want a specific size, instead I learned to use standard sizes for making tiny miniature screws and threads.  Yes, I do check eBay, amazon, MSC (sale catalog), Grainger, McMaster Carr, and Micro-Mark for pricing...

Why do the drill bits have a collar around them?  Tom Walden had these same type of bits available to his students, too.

Each different size has a different colour collar, must be so the 'natives who have just come down from the trees', can identify different sizes, eh. ?

If you don't want the coloured collars on them, well a pair of side-cutters comes in real handy about now. ?

• 2 months later...

Unless you have spent time working in the precision manufacturing industry you are unlikely to understand what is going on with those sellers of drill bits and the difference in pricing for what appears to be the same thing.There is a difference between the high quality drill bits used for high precision machining in industry and the drill bits used for other tasks that don't require that type of precision.

Those lower priced drill bits you see sold on some websites are often the "seconds" quality that were rejected for use in precision machining because they were out of spec for the required tolerance of size.  That does not mean they are not good enough for most miniature making work but it does mean they are not good enough for creating things such as precise circuit boards, medical, scientific and other precision engineered products. Those rejects are your bargain treasures. It is great that they are not going to waste and that it gives you affordable tools for your work. But do not mistake one website as selling the same thing as being overpriced compared to another unless you know for sure that they are both selling items that meet the exact same tolerance  standard of required precision.

If you want to find those color coded drills just do a web search for "carbide circuit board drills' The color coding is to help speed up the identification and also reduce errors in choosing the size of drill.

Archived