Best wood thickness

Kathe

Hi all, 

what wood thickness is the standard or best to use when making mini furniture? I want to carve the wood as well as bend it. Any good sources on line for wood for miniatures? Thanks!!

Do you have the item in your possession that is the subject of the photo?  If yes, I would measure the wood of this item.  My new translated version of Roubo on Furniture is supposed to be delivered today.  I can't wait to go though this book, and I suspect the answers will be there for lovely french furniture.... and while I also love Chippendale, I am drawn to Aubusson and Savonnerie Rugs, and lovely french furniture should be used with those beautiful floral rugs.

If you have any interest in the construction of french furniture, I am using the book I found at www.lostartpress.com as my reference.  You can also purchase instructions for french furniture in miniature from Meghan at http://www.dorsettpublications.com/.

(Helen & Jim Dorsett published The Scale Cabinetmaker, I think if my memory works there were 21 Volumes, and Meghan is their daughter.)

Good Luck!

Archived