Queen Anne Writing Chair

Mesouth

I have just finished my Queen Anne Writing Chair from my Guild School class with Elga Koster. She is a wonderfully talented teacher and a master at making jigs that help students achieve results! I finished my chair with Watco Danish Oil and then a coat of Briwax, which I have used frequently on real size furniture. 

The cushion is a Bargello pattern adapted from an Annelle Ferguson Pomegranate pattern. I adapted it by shortening the stitches to go over 2 threads to make the pattern a bit smaller. The support tape on the bottom of the seat was woven on a Greta loom in a Guild School seminar by Bonni Backe. (I could not post the picture of the underside of the cushion.) ;(

This chair will be the desk chair in my Louisiana Plantaion bedroom at Aragon. The room is circa 1850, with a few "modern" upgrades in electricity.

Martha in Louisiana

IMG_2104.thumb.JPG.77dadcb196ee1e3393eed0f464741361.JPG

Congratulations on finishing your chair, and so quickly too.   It is a fabulous accomplishment for student and teacher!  I saw the underside on Petitpointers group today, that detail is not frequently included, but the straps are a fine indicator of the quality of the chairs in real life; your attention to detail is excellent!

I am so proud of you Martha, your chair looks great. I managed to upload your photo of the underside of your chair seat. Your woven tape is beautiful, I love how you coordinated the colors with the stitched chair seat.

image.jpeg.d5c02f7bd410f18e4fffd219459d73e5.jpeg

Hi Martha, I'm fascinated by such a perfect piece. :) Congratulations! I wish I could take those classes with Mrs. Elga, I am very far away.

Thank you for kind comments!  CF, Elga's technique was to boil the cherry and place it in a curved form to dry. She prepared a dowel that fit into a crescent cut out in a larger piece. The cherry splat was sandwiched between the dowel and the larger cut out piece and held with rubber bands until dry. If that doesn't make sense I will sketch it for you.  It worked very well, but we did make extras in case of breakage.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 10:25 PM, Mesouth said:

It worked very well, but we did make extras in case of breakage.

I have been thinking about this, and I think that maybe a couple of us may have boiled our wood too long.    Boiling it too long destroys the lignins in the wood and can contribute to cracking/breaking. 

Archived