Some of my very early miniatures.

Bill Hudson

Gorgeous!  I especially love the Victoria and the Albany sleigh.  

On a tangent, when I was in elementary school there was a book I took out so much I should have been given it but I can't recall the name of it.  Probably from the 40s or 50s all about making miniature carriages and sleighs.  Any idea what it might have been?  

That is a very good book Elga, I have a printed reprint of that book and of Practical Carriage Building compiled by M. T. Richardson.  If any one is interest in more research of horse drawn vehicles here are some more books to look through.

The Marshall Collection,  Horse-Drawn Commercial Vehicles;   Horse Drawn Sleighs compiled by Susan Green; Horse-Drawn Commercial Vehicles by Don H. Berkebile; American Carriages, Sleighs, Sulkies, And Carts  Don Berkebile; Carriage Terminology: An Historical Dictionary also by Berkebile; And where it first started for me; American Horse-Drawn Vehicles by Jack D. Rittenhouse. A fun hand illustrated book: Wheels A Pictorial History by Edwin Tunis, gives a time line of HDV development in US.  For wheel making: Wheels, Wheels, Wagons and More by Melvin Dewitt. Years later i took a class in wheel wrighting from Melvin's apprentice in Moscow Idaho; Wheel Making Wooden Wheel Design and Construction, Compiled by the Carriage Museum of America, Edited by Don Peloubet, Wheelwright.  

For a good selection of model HDV read Historic Vehicles In Miniature:  The Genius of Ivan Collins.  It was Ivan who got me started into making HDVs. He had a museum on the campus of the University of Oregon. I started hanging out there in 1985 and continued until his death in 1971.  When he died his collection went to the Oregon Historical Society.  I had the honor to repair a couple of his models. Ron Brentano (a good supporter of me) compiled this collection of his vehicles in 1983.  I have a signed first edition.  A second, expanded edition was printed in 1998 soon after Ron Passed away. After Ron'spassoing the museum kind of lost interest in Ivan's collection and most are now in storage.Finally A historical Buide to Wagon hardware and Blacksmith Supplies editided by Towana Spivey;  Ag good collectionof various bits and pieces of hardware for HDVs and also some blacksmith tools.  These are a few of my books centered around horse-drawn vehicles.

• 8 months later...

Bill H, It is most enjoyable to walk down memory lane and to see your work.  I an drawn to the tricycle; perhaps because it is something in my lifetime...?  perhaps the other reason why I am especially fond of Bill R's rollerskates :).. I would love to have a repeat of any class with wire spoked wheels and roller skates... nothing wrong with dreaming before going to sleep at night... happy thoughts for this miniaturist.

Snapping back to waking hours here... Bill H, did you keep one of everything that you made?  Oh my gosh, I can just imagine the prices if you want to send one of everything that you made to the Leslie Hindman auction house....  But seriously, is there a list even of all of your GS classes? How many years did you teach?  I've kept all of my GS class description brochures since I attended, but I do not have a way to compile a historical list.  I'm glad that I figured out where the next level of scale miniature learning happens... Never dreamt that I would have a little town of Castine, Maine filed in the permanent section of my brain's memory.

I'm lamenting that I discovered GS about a decade or so too late,  But even had my interest in miniatures been more advanced,  I doubt that I could have squeezed it into our budget; the accumulation period of life had its own limitations on my budget.    

I treasure my wicker carriage frame with the most beautiful wheels a woman can own... someday I will weave something worthy of the frame!  I'm very fond of my cars, but those tiny metal spoked wheels make my heart sing!

Tamra

Tamara, Thank you.  No I did not keep one of each.  Pat grabbed some and hid them for a while so I do have a few.  My son and daughter both have a couple of my miniatures.  I do have one of most of my Guid School projects miniatures.  I did not keep any of the two structure class I taught.  Sarah Salisbary bought the cape cod whale house (believe it may now be in the Toy and miniature Museum at Kansas City, and I'm not sure who purchased the New Orleans shot gun house facade or where it is.. 

I taught for fourteen years at Castine, 2001 being my last year.  It just became too stressful having just coming off a heart attack.  That pretty much put an end to my miniature exposure as getting ready for shows and filling order s too also was stressful. I have kept several copies of all my class project manuals. I had hoped to put them together in book form but that too is just beyond my energy level now. 

Archived