Fiber Samples for Miniature Knitting

Sue from Mesa

This was used at a miniature knitting seminar a number of years ago. It won't be quite as useful when one can't actually feel the samples, but perhaps it will be helpful. There are two needlework shops mentioned by name, both of which are in the Denver area. Now that I'm in AZ, I have access to the marvelous needlework shop, The Attic, which will do mail order. They carry some of these items.

I would encourage any beginning mini knitter to experiment with many different fibers. You may want to begin with something that doesn't really look in scale and then work your way down to finer fibers. 

Sue from Mesapost-183-0-34529800-1405032262_thumb.jpg

This is a wonderful sampler Sue, thank you for sharing! I've tried so many different threads but I tend to always go back to the Gutermann silk at 50 weight and the YLI 100 weight as well as the DMC 80 cotton.  What are your favorite threads to knit with? :)

I still like that Mettler 60/2 cotton for lace work. It is so crisp and shows lace details well. Venne-Colcoton  70/2 is one I discovered after this sampler was made. It's a soft cotton that I think gives more of a wool look in miniature. It's not too shiny. The color range is a little limited in that size, but there are more in 40/2, which might be better for beginners anyway. 

Have you seen the Painter's Threads? They have wonderfully short variegations which are perfect for mini knitting. Unfortunately for our needs, it comes in 5 meter lengths. It is embroidery floss weight.  

I've just been given some samples of RedFish Dyeworks silk which I haven't had time to try yet. The colors are marvelous as well as the price. They have both 60/2 and 120/2. It's not that slippery shiny silk, but has a clearly visible twist to it.

Sue, this is a wonderful resource for miniature knitters everywhere!  Thank you for posting this!  Tamra

• 3 weeks later...

This is also very valuable for aspiring miniature weavers, the hardest part of weaving miniatures is finding very fine yarns to weave with. I knew about Habu, but haven't thought about them for a long time. Thanks!

Is the Guttermann Silk thread the standard 30 weight silk thread?  I can't remember if Gutterman is sold in multiple weights in silk.  But I know that YLI is sold in 50 wt and 100 wt.   Tamra/Indiana

• 2 weeks later...

I love this sampler! I also work with venne colcoton. What size needle do you use with the 70/2? Did you know there is also 50/2 in beautiful colors. I especially like the 34/2 for beginners.

Archived