Burgess BBS20 bandsaw

PJPickard

Anyone have one of these? It looks like this:

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/burgess-bandsaw-anyone-sold-thanks-t40095.html

I have one and its missing a part(or 2) Its kind of an important part, a nut that holds the top wheel on!  Of course its not a simple nut, but it looks like it might be a nut with a built in washer. The nut fits in a hex recess in a casting. I can make one but I'd just like to see a picture of one before I do. I have looked all over the web but can't find a pic of that part.

I know its prob. a long shot...but I thought I'd try!

Thanks,

Paul

BTW, I have not used the saw in years, but its a nice little saw...

I have a friend who has a saw looking just like this one, will email him and check if it is the same one indeed...if it is I will ask if he can take a photo of the nut for you.

Paul, my friend has the same saw, he has been trying to find blades for it. So if you know of a source for blades?

Being a band saw you should be able to have blades welded to whatever size you want..... Just go to place that serves professional woodworkers. The other advantage is you can get the industrial quality blades with all kinds of special features as opposed to the hobby junk.

Thanks for reminding me Bill, I just had one made for myself the other day, for this size saw, how many tpi would you recommend?

That depends what you are cutting?...... I mostly use my saw for re sawing thick chunks of wood. I like a multi tooth blade.... Something like a 4-6-10 were it has a few teeth the size of a 4 tpi and 6 and 10 sizes.... And repeaters this pattern. This way you get sort of a fine cut with the finer teeth and good chip clearance with the big teeth. I also like the bi-metal blades where the steel at the front where the teeth are is much harder the the more flexible steel at the back. Hobby quality blades don't have these type features...... I use Lenox or Starrett.... Or whatever good brand they have in stock.

Places like Woodcraft make custom sizes of blades for you. And a really great place is Highland woodworking. They have an awesome re-saw blade called the Wood Slicer---

Mostly re sawing thick chunks of wood Bill. I didn't know you got variable teeth blades, the place I bought my bandsaw from certainly didn't make that suggestion and I did tell him what I want to cut. I remember the guy I buy my mopani from mentioned the expensive blades he buys, said they were worth every cent, they cut the bulk of their wood into guitar and other musical instruments blanks for the export market, I will find out from him where he buys his blades. A google search didn't really come up with any local places.

While we are on the subject of bandsaw blades, which width do you all prefer to use for re sawing?

Paul, my friend send me a photo, but it is of the front of the bolt on the wheel. Where is this nut you are talking about, behind the wheel between the wheel and the casing of the bandsaw or on the the outside on the back of the bandsaw? If it is in a difficult to see place I am not sure if he would want to take the wheel off to take a photo.

Hi,

Yes unfortunately you would need to remove the wheel to see it :( I think I can make something that will work, I just wanted to double check...Thanks!

Archived