Jump to content

Queen Anne Writing Chair


Recommended Posts

I have just finished my Queen Anne Writing Chair from my Guild School class with Elga Koster. She is a wonderfully talented teacher and a master at making jigs that help students achieve results! I finished my chair with Watco Danish Oil and then a coat of Briwax, which I have used frequently on real size furniture. 

The cushion is a Bargello pattern adapted from an Annelle Ferguson Pomegranate pattern. I adapted it by shortening the stitches to go over 2 threads to make the pattern a bit smaller. The support tape on the bottom of the seat was woven on a Greta loom in a Guild School seminar by Bonni Backe. (I could not post the picture of the underside of the cushion.) ;(

This chair will be the desk chair in my Louisiana Plantaion bedroom at Aragon. The room is circa 1850, with a few "modern" upgrades in electricity.

Martha in Louisiana

IMG_2104.thumb.JPG.77dadcb196ee1e3393eed0f464741361.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
WeekendMiniaturist

Congratulations on finishing your chair, and so quickly too.   It is a fabulous accomplishment for student and teacher!  I saw the underside on Petitpointers group today, that detail is not frequently included, but the straps are a fine indicator of the quality of the chairs in real life; your attention to detail is excellent!

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ElgaKoster

I am so proud of you Martha, your chair looks great. I managed to upload your photo of the underside of your chair seat. Your woven tape is beautiful, I love how you coordinated the colors with the stitched chair seat.

image.jpeg.d5c02f7bd410f18e4fffd219459d73e5.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for kind comments!  CF, Elga's technique was to boil the cherry and place it in a curved form to dry. She prepared a dowel that fit into a crescent cut out in a larger piece. The cherry splat was sandwiched between the dowel and the larger cut out piece and held with rubber bands until dry. If that doesn't make sense I will sketch it for you.  It worked very well, but we did make extras in case of breakage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 10:25 PM, Mesouth said:

It worked very well, but we did make extras in case of breakage.

I have been thinking about this, and I think that maybe a couple of us may have boiled our wood too long.    Boiling it too long destroys the lignins in the wood and can contribute to cracking/breaking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...