A tool exhibit in a museum in 2009

Wm. R. Robertson

Since this post could either go in the museum section or tools I am going to put it here because it is simply eye candy for tool nuts. I am copying this from another forum where it was posted at the time.

For those that have watched this come together it is finally finished and open!!!!!!! "Labour, Craftsman, Artist - 300 years of Fine Tools"....This is at the Toy and Miniature Museum in Kansas City, Mo..... it runs from May 20th to Aug. 30 2009...... it may be one of the largest Tool exhibits mounted by a museum in about 20 years........ So here is a tour for those that can not get here.....

The opening poster.....

DSCN0761.jpg

The 1st case is Books and Catalogs...... it includes Plumier's 1701 book on the Lathe, Bergeron's Manual du Tourner, a 1801 Peter Stubs catalog..... a E. Walker surface gauge and catalog.... a Sweet's micrometer and more.....

DSCN0762.jpg

The 2nd case contains some signed tools.... from an engraved silver Drafting set, a stamp maker's test rule and the owners stamp of Lyman Dickerman who's tool chest can be found a few feet away....

DSCN0765.jpg

The 3rd case is Drawing Instruments..... these date from about 1675 to the early 1900s.... and a few drawings....

DSCN0767.jpg

The 4th case is Lyman Dickerman's tool chest...... born in 1830 this Carpenter/joiner fought at Gettysburg where he lost a leg..... this may be why some of his tools are unused....... a few even have the prices still marked on them..... he also had great taste in tools as he bought the finest quality offered in his day....

DSCN0771.jpg

The 5th case is a assortment of Planes and Inclinometers....... Wooden Planes include Nicholsons, a Chelor, Fuller, Carpenter and more...... Plow Planes are Walker, Stanley Miller's patents in all three flavors and more.... and more....

DSCN0778.jpg

The next case is Machinist Tools!!!!!!!!

DSCN0798.jpg

Early 19th century tools by Peter Stubs...... many show up in that 1801 catalog!!!!

DSCN0803.jpg

Shop Made tools....for those that wanted something a little different...

DSCN0804.jpg

Surface Gauges.... lots of them

DSCN0805.jpg

And Miniature Tools....... the little chest in the shape of a book is not mine... We had to borrow it...... and the pocket compendium of Machinist tools is by Wilkinson, patented in 1868 it is the only example known...

DSCN0807.jpg

And some Speed and Test Indicators..... along with one of the earliest set of gauge block made.... these were by Major Hoke when he was at the National Bureau of Standards in 1919...

DSCN0809.jpg

Some Square including one of Starrett's very first ones he made in the back of Richarson's shop in 1879...... less than a 1/2 dozen are known....

DSCN0810.jpg

A case full off Lathes, a Minty Fret Saw..... and more

DSCN0811.jpg

A Zimmerman Patent Tool Chest..... sold by Frasse & Co in NYC..... this was the original patent for folding tills like you see in a tackle box....

DSCN0815.jpg

A long shot of more of it...

DSCN0777.jpg

Power Tools ....... they look like everything from motors with wood handles and chucks added too all the way to those the shape of the fastest and most powerful streamline train of the day.....

DSCN0787.jpg

And Saws..... these things weigh what seems like a ton...

DSCN0793.jpg

A Starrett case full of their tools.....

DSCN0785.jpg

On the other side of the room is a case full of Micrometers.....

DSCN0795.jpg

The last room is contains the Miniature Tools of Paul Hamler......

DSCN0817.jpg

And his full sized copy of a solid Ivory and Silver plow plane and it's miniature...... note the scrimshaw.....

DSCN0821.jpg

This would not have been possible without help from lots of people....... here are a few and a dedication to my late friend Ted Crom...... 

DSCN0822.jpg

Sorry for the big photos and so many of them...... but if this is you'er only chance to "see" this I thought you would want them big.

Don't be sorry! I actually love there are so many pictures, and so big too! One thing i like to see is the care they took to make most tools their own dedicated boxes. And I learned an English saying the other day; Necessity is the mother of all inventions. And this exhibit shows just that; all these (slight) variations of a single purpose tool, made up by craftsmen that were in need of them. 

Lucky you guys collect them ;) or we were not able to see the joy of them all together. Thanks for posting it here too!

WOWWWW....words escape me.......WOWWWW ...I love this post I could look at these pictures all day, thank you

So beautiful, thank you Bill!  Not exactly what you get to see in the hardware store is it?  Also love the displays--it really shows off the objects. 

Archived