Wm Robertson game table

Elizabeth Gazmuri

Bill,

In your photo gallery you show a game table with a folding top and link hinge. On full sized originals there was often a  feature to the top such as a very small mortise and tennon where the tops meet, sometimes the tennon was metal, to stabilize the top when it is fully open. I believe you told me you had done such a thing once, I would love to see a photo of how you did it. I have made several link hinged game tables, and have found there is a very precise "sweet spot" in making the hinge so it is not too small or too big, but even so have never really been pleased with the stability of the top when open without this mortise & tennon

Yes there is a little mortise and tenon in the center of the back edge. On this type of hinge there is a little sweet spot where it works perfectly but it is hard to find without binding. So what I did was make the holes in the middle floating hinge plate a little bit elongated this way it would open and the back edges of the table would clear each other and then it could be pushed it on the mortise.

Archived