Esther Marker

Hello everyone, I am Esther and I live in India. I must be one of the very few people in my country fascinated with miniatures, so it's a little difficult to find the correct materials and people to appreciate my work.

Anyhow, I wanted to share with you my miniature Venetian masks. Each mask is about 5/8th of an inch wide and 3/4th of an inch high. These dimensions are excluding the mask stick and head gear and refer to the face portion of each mask only. You can see how tiny these are by looking at the picture of the mask in my hand.

Like it's original full sized counterpart, each mask is made from papier mache and then painstakingly decorated. The back is hollowed out just like a traditional mask so it can fit over a face.

mosaicjokerhandsm.jpg

maskheadgear02sm.jpg

They are lovely! At first I mistakenly thought the long piece was a stick pin. Now I realize it is so you have something to hold it over your face with. They would make gorgeous stick pins though. ;-)

Esther, precises work. The second mask would be my favorite. All those crackles are wonderful. The headdress reminds me a Russian Kokoshnik. What material did you use for the headdress in the first image? Is it also papier mache?

23 minutes ago, Natalia Frank said:

Esther, precises work. The second mask would be my favorite. All those crackles are wonderful. The headdress reminds me a Russian Kokoshnik. What material did you use for the headdress in the first image? Is it also papier mache?

Thanks Natalia. The headdress in the first image is made from a thin textured paper which is hand-painted with metal paint and then decorated. The metal paint/patina stiffened it slightly and I could curl it around a dowel and it held it's shape beautifully. The part going into the forehead section is also paper, precision cut to look like a lattice. This made it easy for me to fill the little square sections with mica powders/paint that had been thinned with a little varnish.

I'd like to also take this opportunity to thank those of you that were kind enough to like this post and get back to me with so much encouragement. I look forward to creating more masks and showing you photos.

Archived