Hello from Greene County, Virginia

PJSizemore

My name is Pam and I've loved "little" things as long as I can remember. I built my first dollhouse in the late 70's and did several more after that. Then came work, children, life in general. I am now a mother of 4 beautiful grown children and 12 beautiful grandchildren. I have rediscovered my love of miniatures. I am on a roll with my 3rd dollhouse with my next two projects taking form in my mind. 

I am not sure how many more doll houses I will be able to make before our big plan to downsize and travel begins. Not a lot of room in an RV for "miniatures". 

Hi Pam,  I'm not familiar with life in an RV - But the travel part of this conversation sounds wonderful.  I am sure I would figure out how to bring some projects with me...  I find that my eyes will allow me to hand quilt in a moving vehicle, I can make ribbon roses, and can make wicker - so these are my favorite projects to take on the road with me when we are on short road trips.  I have a friend who does Petitpoint and she can stitch in the car (as a passenger).  I am waiting for the google car app to get approval, so I can be chaufferred to / from my work appts - then perhaps I will really be able to my minis completed.  (Just kidding.)  French Knot projects also lend themselves to mobile activities as no chart is involved.

Downsizing (shudder) - I'm avoiding that topic... I have to have my tools!

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing about your projects and your adventures traveling.

Tamra

Hi, Pam, and welcome to this group. Will you be full time RV'ing? I ask because I am a part time RV'er and meet many hobbyists on the road at the campgrounds. The trick is to bring something smaller and portable. It is more difficult if you don't have a "sticks and bricks"  permanent home to come back too ( ie, many full-timers really miss their hobby rooms or wood working shops they had back home), but there is no reason why you cannot persue your miniature hobby on the road. Even in the smallest RV there is room for small hand tools and even a small table saw. You can work outside too, even set up on a portable camp table, sit in a chair carving or work at the picnic table. Example, I made a Noah's ark just so when I was gone on a trip , I could bring small pieces of wood to teach myself to carve little animals. There are even groups of RV'ers who share similar hobbies (like wood carving , who meet together during the year and share their hobby).With all of those wonderful children of yours, you could let them each keep one of your dollhouses at their homes, and you could make miniature furniture or stitch needleworks ,or whatever,  while on the road.Then when you visit them, you could add something to the  dollhouses ha ha! -Anyway, having fun is the main thing with this hobby . I am sure you will work it out- who knows, we may even run into each other at a campground some day ha!  gail

Archived