PatriciaPaul

Just as a heads up, there is a seller on eBay selling fake Obadiah Fisher silver. You really can tell the difference if you ever saw Obadiah's work.
I suspect this person bought some and made molds, but the finish is horrendous.

Still, people are paying good money. Seller is from Greece.

Thanks Patricia for letting our collector community know about this unfortunate event.  Oh, this would not be fun eBay transaction... I hope the eBay community is leaving the seller negative feedback.  The old "Buyer Beware" clause is very applicable in the fine collectibles market.  I prefer to purchase my very limited silver pieces directly from the Artists if possible, and then if purchasing from a miniature dealer, I purchase after seeing the item in person...

Sadly people buying this stuff may have never seen his real work in person.  They are just going to be thrilled they got a piece they have seen sell for $1000+ for only $200. And they may pass it on as Obadiah's. 

Last night I saw a copy of Pete Acquisto's gravy boat on eBay. Someone said there is a ring of these people from Greece, Italy and Russia selling reproductions as originals. If you watch you will see the same pieces coming up again and again when we all know Obadiah made only so many before he passed.

Here is a link to the Obadiah piece

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182148322555?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Acquisto piece:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/peter-acquisto-cravy-miniature-dollhouse-solid-sterling-silver-925-/201594860546?hash=item2eeffd7402:g:e30AAOSwY0lXTetl

It could be these pieces are just beat up, but I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew when I saw a piece that was allegedly made by Obadiah Fisher, it wasn't his work. It had a great deal of porosity. He never would have sold a piece that looked like that.

The problem is, someone who is clueless bought it for over $200. And thinks they got a deal. If you know his work at all, it's obvious.  Keep watching for them.

I've never seen anyone from Russia selling such things on Ebay, there's only one artisan making silverware, but I've seen their WIP photos, they make their own models and share photos on social media sites. And the quality of items is very good. Sadly, there is actually one woman who's making copies of Sue Cook Miniatures, but Sue knows about it, not sure she did something.

He's not the person I mean. This person claims she got the pieces from her sister and ''if you don't like it, don't bid".

This is also someone in Greece selling fake Obadiah.

I know eBay doesn't care about policing fakes. I called them once a long time ago about a different fake (that was not a miniature). I guess it goes back to.... "Let the buyer beware."

Here's the photo of the fake Fisher silver tray. Just in case anyone is interesting in buying his work when it comes up.

This is the bad example and the fake one. I knew Obadiah and saw his work in person. I don't think there were very many better than him. This piece is dreadful, but I am sure it will fool people.

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 8.31.53 PM.png

Archived