Wire wheels.

Bill Hudson

Today I found a box full of old pewter castings from when I was doing casting. Most are just over runs from several jobs.  But I was playing around with the idea of casting the wire spoke wheel rims.  I built some wheels and sent them off to a lady who wanted wheels for a baby carriage.  I never heard any thing back from her.  The are just as they came out of the molds and need to be trued up, flash cleaned off and spoke holes finished drilled. Presently I do not have any plans for them.

find - 1 (1).jpg

I will watch with anticipation!  I just found my .016 Brass straight wire locally about 8 days ago and bought some; I've been reading and re-reading your posts on the horse drawn scale model forum, as I had printed the content.

Tamra

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Hudson, have you read Gerald Wingrove's incredible two-volume set "The Complete Car Modeller" (UK spelling)?

There is a very detailed section on wire wheel construction for automobiles, he uses a clear acrylic jig that holds the hub and outer rim in place.  One of the most interesting jigs I've seen to date.  I believe this information is in volume one.

I'm new on here, nice to meet everyone,

Jason

Thank you Jason,

I have copies and indeed have read Gerald's work many years ago.  I do build wire spoked wheels (one of my specialities) and have taught a simpler version at the Guild School for several of my projects.

Bill

Archived