Some of my very early miniatures.

Bill Hudson

These are some of my very early miniatures.

post-35-0-94879300-1398739816_thumb.jpg

This is a girls velocipede from the turn of the 20th century. this miniature was built in 1988.

post-35-0-92212700-1398739817_thumb.jpg

This is a Victoria (park model) carriage. It is of a skeleton type frame.  This is a very early carriage miniature built about 1979-80.

post-35-0-86753900-1398739818_thumb.jpg

This is a Brougham some times used as a taxi or a gentleman's carriage. Built 1979.  It is fun to see how far my quality has come since the early days.  Until these carriages I had been building in 1/8th scale. It was quite an adjustment to scale down in detail.

BH

Wonderful work Bill, if this is your first works I would love to see some of your more recent work, these look perfect to me.

​This is my very first 1/12th scale horse drawn vehicle, built in 1967.  It is a Jenny Lind (named after an actress of the time)  The bottom view shows the undercarriage. The photo was taken with a point and shoot camera of those times. Many people call these Doctor's buggies but they are not.  The most common name is piano box buggy because of the resemblance to a piano shipping crate. There is the basic piano box and variations such as the Jenny Lind. These buggies are very light in weight and very fast.

post-35-0-09016800-1398785779_thumb.jpg  post-35-0-49475500-1398785802_thumb.jpg

It is great seeing these images of your work Bill !  I loved the Castine classes that I took with you and learned a bunch about metal working and the fabulous spoked wheels !!

These are fantastic…….. while we know we improve over time, just like a fine wine is suppose too? There is special about early good work… there are parts you look at and cringe and other parts you think…. "damn, I did that with only those junk tools I had at the time, not bad for just a kid."… I wonder if I could do it that way now?

There is just something about the innocent purity of early work that makes it so special.

Thank you for the kind comments Bill.

One more older buggy. This is also a piano box buggy with what was called a coal box body. It is slung on a Brewster type undercarriage. The rear boot is a leather topped lid which covers a storage area. There also is a storage area under the seat covered by the fall. I feel my work quality in 1/12th scale carriages had improved quit a bit with this buggy. I had mastered the roll and tuck leather seat cushions and the underwire frame of the leather dash.  The paint also improved.

post-35-0-96129300-1398827275_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-49759600-1402356708_thumb.jpeg

This is an Albany sleigh built in 1988.  The horse and harness is by Cheryl Abelson (no longer doing miniatures).

post-35-0-62480100-1398902840_thumb.jpg

The buggy and sleigh are fantastic Bill, the paint looks wonderfully smooth and glossy, I like how the wheel of the buggy reflects so well on the paint of the buggy.

Really incredible for early work. It is a fun feeling for one to look at their early work and years later be able to say this isn't half bad.

Ooh WOW! These are fantastic! As i scrolled down more and more showed and they are simply wonderful! Amazing work Bill. I love the dynamics & construction of each of these carriages.

They are beautiful. If this is your early work I cannot begin to imagine what you are doing now.

• 1 month later...

A few more of my wheeled goods. Sulky horse, swing horse with wicker seats, and pedal horse.

post-35-0-29698600-1402288639_thumb.jpg

Thanks Elga.  The swing horse, without the basket seats, was a Guild School Class I taught. Was a fun class to teach. I used these horse bodies for several of my classes.

This is a Berlin style coach from the era of George Washington.  By this time the leather supports were replaced with leaf springs. The driver seat ws attached to the main body making them all one. The lanterns are fabricated from silver with beveled glass lenses. The door glass raises and lowers by the strap.

post-35-0-63234700-1402436099_thumb.jpg

This is a doctor's buggy.  A doctor's buggy is a Phaeton body style with a cut under. The foot area is dropped down and the rear of the body is raised up so the in a tight turn the front wheel can pass under the body.  Much of the time a piano box buggy is called a doctor's buggy when they are not. This Phaeton has drawers under the seat and the rear boot raises up for storage and doctor's bag. This Phaeton has a working top that is it folds up and down. The horse is by Cheryl Abelson. I do not know who made the doll.

post-35-0-33816400-1402463784_thumb.jpg

Although building carriages is my main interest I also love making tin ware and especially toys. All but the trikes were I taught in my Guild School classes. 

post-35-0-22324900-1402761303_thumb.jpeg

post-35-0-98203400-1402761090_thumb.jpeg

Well, I think it is safe to say you like things with wheels :-)

The tricycles remind of the ones we had as small children, I can remember my middle brother running with it instead of riding, the dog thought this was great fun and yapped at his heels all the way.

I could not be more impressed! Floored actually. I've always been a big fan of yours and seeing all these wonderful early works is such a treat!

These are great, it is so nice to see some of your pieces that haven't been shown in years..... And Elga's right, you do like stuff with wheels.

Thanks for sharing

Thank you all for the kind words.  Yes Elga, Bill it does seem I like wheels.  On some forums where I don't use my real name I go by 5thwheel. A  5th wheel is the wheel shaped part on the front axles that aid in the turning of the front axle on a turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Really fantastic and interesting work!  I'm glad my poor dog didn't live to see any of this.  Nothing frightened her except thunder and..... wheels!

Archived