Miniature Masterworks, September 2017

Wm. R. Robertson

There are some nice furniture in the museum and in the room where they host events there are huge English tapestries. When I went last year they had a special exhibtion on 17th century Dutch paintings which is the part of the visit that I probably enjoyed the most.

They do have a website so you can look on there to see if they have any special exhibitions on and what else they may have in their collection that is of interest to you.

Thanks for the clues Elga, will have to see if my work schedule will let me squeeze out another day to catch the Nelson Atkins museum visit.  The possibility does exist to return to KC for a woodworking event too.  I would love to go to a woodturning event, just once.

• 1 month later...

August 11, 2017,  Update!  The Masterworks committee is pleased to share the following schedule for the Masterworks event.     I have included a link from the Kansas City Toy & Miniature Museum of the updated schedule of events, and listed it here too. 

http://www.toyandminiaturemuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Miniature-Masterworks-Schedule-of-Events_Final.pdf

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2017 
10am The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures (T/m) opens 

10am-2:30pm Artist and Patron Benefit Party, and Miniature Masterworks Preview and Sale ticket packets available for pickup at T/m

3pm The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures (T/m) closes 

5pm-6pm Artist and Patron Benefit Party T/m reopens for Patron Ticket holders

5:30pm Winners of the Barbara Marshall Award for Artistic Achievement announced 

6pm-9pm Miniature Masterworks Preview and Sale 

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2017 
10am T/m and Miniature Masterworks opens 

10:30am Gallery talk: Annelle Ferguson 
11:30am Gallery talk: Kevin Mulvany and Susie Rogers 
12:30pm Gallery talk: Elizabeth McInnis 
1:30pm Gallery talk: Maria Jose Santos 
2:30pm Gallery talk: Leslie Smith 
3:15pm Gallery talk: Laura Taylor, T/m’s curator of interpretation and Lindsay Mican Morgan, keeper of the Thorne Rooms 

4pm T/m and Miniature Masterworks closes 

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2017 
10am T/m and Miniature Masterworks opens 

10:30am Gallery talk: Nell Corkin 
11:30am Gallery talk: Jeffrey Gueno 
12:30pm Gallery talk: Jens Torp 
1:30pm Gallery talk: Johannes Landman 
2:30pm Gallery talk: Beth Freeman-Kane 
3:15pm Gallery talk: Lee-Ann Chellis Wessel 

4pm T/m and Miniature Masterworks closes

• 4 weeks later...

1 week to the big event!  Is anyone from the forum attending the Masterworks?  I know there is a list of artisans attending... I've got to get my wish list together!

The National Museum of Toy/miniatures and the IGMA committee hosted an incredible event for Collectors and Artisans.  I enjoyed the presentation of the awards!

Third Place was presented first to Althea Crome for a beautiful knitted Nativity... and as a fiber fan, who can't even pretend to knit, this piece was exquisite!

Image may contain: indoor

(This image was taken by Bonnie Backe from the Guild's facebook page.)  

2nd Place was awarded to Jack Cashmere for an incredibly delicate porcelain masterpiece.

hopefully picture will follow...

21463255_531998383809455_155787435012104

Here is the First Place Winner of the Masterworks 2017 event.  Congratulations to Rohit Khanna!  (Photo found on the Guild's facebook page...)

Thank you to our Guild Committee and all of the board members who volunteered and worked diligently to bring this event together.  It was I N C R E D I B L E !!  I was thrilled with the items I was able to purchase and my only regret is that I couldn't buy everything as there was so many wonderful treasures.  I could have easily spent $10,000 in about 10 minutes, on just one side of one sales area ... Leslie Smith's painting of Adele Bloch - Bauer I was one of the favorite items that didn't come home with me.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_Adele_Bloch-Bauer_I

Hosting this event at the museum was a perfect backdrop... the gallery talks gave us a glimpse of the history that surrounded the creative process, and the opportunity to ask an artisan about a technique was incredible... and while this opportunity also exists when you participate in workshops or Guild School with the instructors, the opportunity to talk to the artisan one on one at the gallery talk was rare... 

I didn't have problems navigating Kansas City, and even found an entire neighborhood of storybook houses that I would have loved to have toured in more detail.

It was fun to see our new artisan's participate, Dustin from Michigan (USA), Victoria from Russia, and Elga from South Africa, and I hope they had wonderful first shows! And our veteran instructor Elizabeth G was also at her first show and I think she was having fun too.

I got to discuss Catherine's Palace (at the Kentucky Gateway Museum) with Robert Dawson and even brought my Mulvaney & Roger's book for Susie and Kevin's autographs.... and talked with Susie about the wonderful experience of being a grandma.  The submissions pieces were wonderful... and the only thing I would have changed was a brief photo op of all the submission pieces....  so I'm sending emails and then based upon response I'll post pics for the FMF.

I was so surprised to see Anne R, a fellow of Needlework at this show... and it was great to see her again and share part of a day.

Thank you again to the Guild!  It was a memorable weekend, and I'm sure I will be smile each time I look at the new treasures!

I have a couple of photos from Pete Acquisto and others, but unable to attach... I think they should be posted here, not in the gallery, as they are snapshots.  Please advise, as my photos have exceeded my limitations.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived