Beth Freeman-Kane Johannesburg class February 2016

ElgaKoster

This weekend I had the privilege to participate in Beth Freeman-Kane's first class that she ever taught in her own country, which just happens to mine too, South Africa.

It was a fun and relaxed class...mmmh...except for painting that tiny bird! I used to do decorative painting on wood, but that was many, many years ago.

20160220_095701-1-1_zps4koum2gn.jpg

This is what we started of with, a very white branch and bird.

20160220_092247-1_zps5oh90nrq.jpg

My branch finished and ready to go into the box.

20160220_111117-1_zpsmiihm8oi.jpg

The rest of our Saturday was spent on painting the bird and gluing him to his branch, this is how everything looked at the end of the day.

20160220_160611-1_zps50glef7j.jpg

This morning we added some tiny branches and painted them to blend in.

20160221_105411-1_zpste7es49h.jpg

Lastly we added some leaves and lichen, I kept my composition fairly simply, some of the students discussed the idea of turning the branch 90 degrees in the box, I liked the idea, did so and discovered this morning that I was the only one who ended up doing so. It was a fun class and I am very happy that it was hosted so close to my home, something totally different from what I usually make.

20160221_144102-1-1_zpsxo83ovuj.jpg

Thank you Elga for show-casing Beth's class for the forum today; the results are wonderful.  It is amazing what we can achieve with guidance from our instructors.

And it is wonderful that you didn't have to travel to another country to participate in this learning experience.

Tamra

Thank you Catherine, she is a fun teacher, I am happy with the branch, but the poor bird, I used to paint dolls too, something I realized this weekend, if you don't use a skill for 16 years you can get very rusty, it got better towards the end of painting him, well I will have a chance again as I have an extra bird to paint that I want to put on one of the window sills of my Cape Dutch house. I think when I come back from Castine I must take a week every month to just work on the house...otherwise that might never get build.

• 2 weeks later...

For those people who are interested in taking a class with Beth in the US, I noticed,

she has a lovely class scheduled at the Chicago International show... item #49,

and a 24 hour class at Guild School in June - (oh I like this one!)

and another opportunity at the San Jose Miniature Show in October...

A wonderful chance to learn from a master without the cost of travel to South Africa!  Although I would love to hang out with Elga's SA Miniature Club.

Tamra

Beth is also teaching a 12 hour class at Guild School that will include learning how to sculpt your own birdie.

Archived