Pricing our art/craft

ElgaKoster

Somebody posted this link on the petitpointer group and I would like to hear what you all think, pricing for me is always very difficult.

About the only thing that I really keep a time track on is my petitpoint and only if I have to finish it by a certain time, to give an example according to this guy's base rate of $50 an hour. At the moment I am stitching a piece on 55 count gauze, finished size is 2 3/16" by 1 5/8", my estimated hours on this is 54 hours which includes the time I spend on charting the design and I am being conservative here with the hours....so 54 hours at $50 an hour is $2700...and this petitpoint is part of a table I am making with probably another 30-40 hours of work in it.

And since this guy mentioned skill...I just wonder...how much are collectors out there willing to pay for really good pieces of the top artists in our field? The artists who do this full time who probably don't include the many hours of research and overcoming design issues in the final price, that is dependend on this income for their livelyhood to pay the daily bills...so how do miniature artists get to working out prices that is worth the effort put in and a price that a buyer is willing to pay?

https://makesomething.tv/how-price-your-work-simple-technique

Thanks for the link. People think of time (hours) and materials (cost) but nobody ever mentions knowledge. I say this because my bug mechanic (my '71 VW Beetle), who also can get parts and had a bone yard of old bugs, says he has to deal with the most frugal AKA cheap people trying to restore or keep old bugs alive. He is a dear friend and I do not fall into the "cheap" group. Poor yes, but not cheap or begrudging. Because I know he has 45 years of "working on bugs" knowledge that I now have access to, and I SO appreciate it! Probably WAY off topic but to me it's all art--

The Chicago International or any of the larger shows are a great place to see miniature pricing in the US.

at $50 per hour perhaps I should change occupations as that would put me at $104,000 per year - that would help my travel budget.  Perhaps I should work at becoming an Artisan, officially :)

The average wage in the us is $24.57 per hour according to the Motley Fool.

The average median household income in the US is about $56,000 per year (this could be two people working).

In the US, Its all supply & demand to get people to pay you for your knowledge.

Specialty physicians in the US make a lot more then family docs... so I recommend specializing in a specific field in minis too.

Great question though...

What might be interesting is to ask every person who walks into the Bishop show how much disposable income they have... or how much they are planning to spend.  I've already spent $1000 on my class, 4 days at hotel, and have not calculated that I will not be at work for 3 days and will not be productive for 3 days.... and I haven't even walked into the show yet.  Obviously I could just come in for 1 day and go back home; but then I wouldn't have time to see my friends!

Tamra

I am not sure about miniature pricing. I know several metalsmiths have always kept their price per hour consistent with what plumbers charge.

Thank you for your answer Tamra, I did think that $50 was on the high side, I guess there are artists that make that kind of money but am guessing that they will be in the minority. I always think it sad that many artists who lived almost in poverty...their paintings etc sells at sometimes unbelievable prices now. Same goes for antiques as well.

The median income in SA is about $40 500 per household, but housing and food are generally cheaper here.

Unfortunately, Art is not a necessity for everyone, and then my cold reality is that I'm limited to my disposable income... so my wish to pay our artisans greatly exceeds my budget. 

Tamra

$50/hr sounds like a lot to me.  That is more than I ever made as an advanced practice nurse (however, salaries and cost of living are lower here in the south).  But, when I did some consulting, I charged $100/hr.  I spent 110 hours stitching a rug for a friend.  However, I did it as an exchange so that she had time and materials invested as well!

put a price on my miniature works is always a nightmare. It's a labor intensive activity, with many hours in each piece that others consider are made for love at art.

Anyway.. where do I have to sign to earn 50$ per hour doing miniatures?!!

From Max Krimmel's bio... (alabaster on the lathe)

On the topic of self employment, "working for yourself if great, you can work as much as you want; as long as it is all the time."

Tamra

• 2 months later...

What are similar style and quality goods selling for, what will the market bear, who do I think i am????  I ask these questions.

Hourly rate, probably below minimum wage in my case, but I'm doing what I love, right?!! 

Utilizing my skills as an artisan to make money building architectural models, photo props, really helps. Those budgets can be realistic and help pay the bills, but cut into my time for show prep. 

Elga mentioned the research, not to mention the failures that led to the finished piece. Still more questions than answers. breathe

Archived