Charting petit point from full scale original antique pieces

ElgaKoster

This looks very nice in your needlework stand.  I am sure you will enjoy having your pieces completed!  But no time to play if you have to have the second chair seat finished in 5 weeks... assuming you mean before traveling to the US.  oh goodness, that is 70 hours per week of stitching.....   I don't think I could stitch for 10 hours per day... 4-5 hours per day is my upward limit.  Well, you aren't charting so hopefully the 2nd piece of stitching takes less time.

Congratulations!

Tamra

Tamra, about 70 hours of stitching should see the second chair seat finished which works out to about two hours a day of stitching for seven weeks, I don't think I can do more than three hours in a day. Charting takes me just about as long as stitching does, so with no charting needed for the next while I will have both more time for stitching and finishing all the woodwork that I still need to do.

And thanks I am really happy with how these pieces turned out.

I don't know about you ppers.  All I can see is aching necks and sore eyes.  Beautiful work but it would drive me crazy.  Thanks for sharing the three finished ones.  

Elga, your items are lovely.  I'll look forward to seeing them in their completed state.

Carolyn

I think I have finally figured out how to insert photos in my post and I will attempt to do so.  

As I think I have previously mentioned. last fall I saw a sampler in the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley that was stitched in the mid-1800's by a young woman named Lydia Wakefield.  I should have taken more than one photo because it's not very good.

post-208-0-69646300-1457061092_thumb.jpg

A couple of months ago, I decided to try my hand a designing and stitching a mini sampler based on a real life one and I ran across this photo I had taken and decided to use it.  I remembered a Annelle Ferguson seminar on samplers at Guild School a couple of years ago and she talked about when you are charting a sampler to get the "essence" of a sampler.  I quickly found out that I could not include all of the text and design on the original so I worked to capture the "essence" of the original.  The photo below is of my chart, a reduced photo of the original sampler and my sampler in progress.  I am stitching it on 56 count silk gauze with Gutermann silk thread.  My plan is to have the stitching completed by Chicago.

post-208-0-91329000-1457061090_thumb.jpg

Carolyn

Carolyn, this makes me smile.

I can't believe that you can stitch with my assumption of 30 wt Silk Gutermann on 56 count silk gauze...but I love the Gutermann line, as it has a lot of color options... What a beautiful sampler.  If Annelle offers another seminar/class this year, I'm definitely planning to attend... Annelle must be so proud of her students...

Great Forum topic Elga!

Tamra

Your sampler looks great Carolyn, I am looking forward to seeing it, it was Annelle's seminar that got me into charting...before then I always thought I would never be able to chart anything.

Great job, Carolyn! Glad to see that stitching is still going on even with packing and commuting! Looking forward to Chicago.

• 2 months later...

Well, here are all the pieces of petit point finished and in the pieces of furniture that they were destined for. I used acid free styrene to mount the petit point on for the fire screen and the Queen Anne table.

20160412_193349-1-1_zpsee22hwij.jpg

20160412_161829-1_zps94eohwg6.jpg

20160412_161805_001-1_zpsqvsrvfh5.jpg

I made a slip seat out of wood for the Chippendale chair and upholstered it in the traditional way with webbing, fabric and stuffing.

20160411_163734-1_zpshet1jln5.jpg

20160411_191515-1_zpsr9izfc9p.jpg

20160411_191438-1_zpsio9iyabu.jpg

So exciting to see all the pieces completed, thank you for posting them, I've been waiting :)

Archived