Greetings from South Africa

RayG

Hi,

My name is Ray and i live in Knynsa South Africa. I am a keen miniaturist, but suffer from too little time.  I have had the great joy of having attended the IGMA School in Beautiful Castine, Maine on 6 occasions but that was several years ago.

i mainly work on half-scale projects, which have until now focused on street scenes from cities i know and love. other than the dolls (I don't do dolls) i make just about everything in the project. will post some examples of the work later.

Thanks to Elga (a great miniaturist and splendid teacher) for introduing me to this great place to hand out with other lovers of the little things in life :)

Welcome Ray, it was great meeting you in Betty's Bay earlier this year, I would love to see some of your work.

And by the way, you were a great student to have in the class, full of fun and enthusiasm :-)

Ray, I would enjoy seeing your half scale miniatures... I hope you will post some photos when you have time.. always fun to see what other miniaturists are up to.

It is nice to have another South African member in the forum... I am amazed at the complexity of miniatures that are done at the local club that our friend Elga has posted about... I hope that you are close enough to participate.

Tamra

Knysna where Ray lives is about 715 miles away from Johannesburg...but you are welcome anytime Ray if you have to come up here for any reason.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  My partner and I were co-founders of the JSME in Johannesburg, South Africa more years ago than I would like to remember.  We counted many of the original members of the Johannesburg Academy of miniatures among our personal friends, before they moved on to the big workshop in the sky.  

Thank you Elga we certainly would love to attend one of you classes in the big smoke– but if you ever suggest making hinges I will have to give up miniatures all together! (Sorry that is an in joke – one of Elga’s classes in beautiful Betty's Bay on hinges had me producing a hinge that your average 7 year old would be embarrassed to own up to!)

We also spent 20 years in The Netherlands before returning “home” a few years ago.  Will Post some work but don’t expect it to me in the same class as Elga!

Those comments about hinges have me smiling... I can definitely relate; I had not imagined that it was so difficult to sew a straight seam with a needle...that was last years' Guild School experience... so humbling to realize I can't hand sew as well I as think I can... but you should see me with a lathe and a sharp graver summer 2015... "Let's see,  "ummm... do you know that you are holding that (graver) upside down?"  It was funny, well no wonder it doesn't cut.

715 miles is pretty far...667 miles from our home, I can get to Philadelphia, PA for the big show (10.5 hours), so perhaps making it to the Johannesburg meeting might be a stretch!  Does anyone have a plane?   

Tamra

Archived