Historical Buildings, etc in Cape Town

ElgaKoster

I spend three days with my friend from school days in Cape Town after the South African Miniature Convention and we visited quite a few places.

First up was Groot (big) Constantia, a wine farm that was started in 1685 by Simon van der Stel, one of the first commanders of the VOC in the Cape. Groot Constantia is the only wine farm in Cape Town itself, offering wine tasting, cellar tours and it has a very nice restaurant in the Jonkershuis (the house build for the oldest son way back after his marriage).

20150905_141705_zpshcd5ldfk.jpg

The manor house is a museum now, no photos are allowed inside but I grabbed these two photos off their website.

45_5_img-gal04_zpsageeqic7.jpg

44_4_img-gal05_zpsnxcc9z2t.jpg

In the entrance hall hangs a big portrait of Sibella Pasman (born in 1693 and died in 1778), she is one of my ancestors on my mom's side and at some time I want to commission a local miniaturist who works in oils to paint it for me, I found this black and white photo of the portrait online.

image.jpg1_zpsmj4svpnv.jpg

Since we arrived there at about lunch time we decided to have lunch next, it looked so yummy that I had to take a photo  :) I had a very traditional meal of Malayan origins (the Cape had a lot of slaves from Malaysia in the 1700's and their culture become intertwined with those of the white settlers from Europe) consisting of bobotie, chicken curry, lamb curry and yellow rice and is as yummy as it looks.

20150905_132837_zpscmb00tj0.jpg

After lunch we had a slow stroll around the house, in the photos you will see that the vines has been recently pruned, ready for the next growing season.

20150905_141934_zpsisch4ka2.jpg

20150905_141944_zpsjfu0ni5s.jpg

The back of the house.

20150905_144344_zpsszul6yne.jpg

If you ever find yourself in Cape Town I think this is a must see tourist attraction, it must be one of the oldest wine farms in South Africa, they have a website if any of you are interested in reading more.

http://www.grootconstantia.co.za/home/?id=3

I still have more to show you and will do so over a few posts.

Archived