Reflector oven.

Bill Hudson

In June of 1999 I had the privilege to spend some time in the tin ware storage area at Sturbridge Village. One of the pieces I photographed and measured it this reflector oven that was set up at the front of a fire place so that meats could be roasted. It has a spit that is not shown.  I have planned to build this but keep putting it off.

post-35-0-41790200-1437877509_thumb.jpeg

post-35-0-48361200-1437877526_thumb.jpeg

post-35-0-33437100-1437877541_thumb.jpeg

This is an antique lunch pail, sometimes called a miners pail but used in many other industries to carry lunch to work. The top half holds liquid such as coffee or soup. The too serves as a cup. Might be next in line for production.

post-35-0-77954100-1437889082_thumb.jpg

Oh, I like the pail Bill, from around which time does it date?

The original coal miner buckets were round. Later they became oval and then square. So they started out in the mid. 19th century.  This one was from around the turn of the 20th cent. I have some rough measurements and drawing I took at a yard sale about 1967.  I wish now I had bought it, even as rough shape as it was then.

Thanks Elga,  I have found and copied most of these and more. I did not realize there were so many different versions. I like the miniature, I had not seen it before. 

Pleasure Bill, looking forward to your miniature version...I am hoping you have decided to make it next.

Archived