Sign in to follow this  
jackofalltrades

Strong Museum

jackofalltrades

We have a museum in Rochester NY USA called the Strong National Museum of Play.   Though this museum has changed over the years and it has a very different focus than in the past,  there is a fairly interesting collection of miniatures.  Originally, the museum showcased an avid collector's (Margret Strong) collection aimed at adults it has changed focus to children.   Worth a visit if you are in the area.    Great place to let kids blow off steam while on a road trip also!

www.museumofplay.org/collections/toy-doll-game

Darren Thomas

GREAT Share - thanks!!

Peter Jensen

The Strong is also an interesting museum because it has open viewable storage. This means that even if the items you want to see are not on current display you may still have an opportunity to see them in their storage locations.

• Like 1

jackofalltrades

The open storage is something I liked from the time the museum opened!   One of my favorite items is a dollhouse kitchen that contains many miniature utensils, pots and pans.  There is also a wonderful display of toy stem engines.

Though I wish the museum focus had followed Margret Strong's interest in collecting miniatures and early Americana, it now serves the community more widely and is more financially solvent by focusing on serving children.