"Spud" 1:12 scale English bulldog and "Kasha" dollhouse dogs

julie parrott

Hi from England,

Here are my latest 2.I have used hand cut flock for the bulldog.

some artists say this is a easier method but i find it takes much more time as extra detail to muscles and wrinkles is needed to emphasize them and not to mention the time taken to cut the flock to a fine consistency!

Would love to know from any other animal artists if there is a "finishing spray" available on the market that preserves furred miniatures.

kind regards julie 

post-586-0-70414600-1432457800_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-84921200-1432457863_thumb.jpg

Your dogs are beautiful Julie.

I will admit to being hesitant in buying a flocked animal, I always wonder how the glue will hold up over twenty years or so, I see so many 1980's and 1990's fabric craft projects in charity shops where the items are falling apart.

I adore your dogs!  

Can you find any ideas on model railroading forums and how they treat very fine flocking on terrain?   It's just an off-the-wall idea ....  

Thankyou Elga and Chris for your kind comments and advice!

I will definately have a thorough look and see if there is a product to preserve flocked and furred sculptures.

thanks julie

Hello Julie,

I have never worked with textile or furred miniatures. So I don't know if what I'm going to say is stupid!.

there is some breathable waterproof sprays that I use in some clothes and gore-tex shoes. When is dried is invisible, no shining, but it protect against humidity and stains. It is perfect in leather, nobuck...

It is a surface protection, consequently, it doesn't prevent the aging of adhesives and glues, but it can help a little.

Your dogs are incredible!!

Francisco

Wonderful dogs! I don't know if I am interpreting this right but are you wanting to spray them from anything getting on them or anything coming off? Because getting on, I don't know, but if it is to keep coloring from coming off, that is not a wise method to use to make them because of just that reason---

thankyou very much for the advice and kind comments

I think probably anything waterbased would not be ideal so I have given up on that idea !

Have a great week

julie

Julie,  this is an interesting question.  There are sealers and fixatives for art, ie paintings... so I wonder if sealers would work on a flocked animal... I would recommend that you place some flocking on a wooden block, write on your block what you sprayed on it, and let it sit for 10 years and see what happens.  I was recently in our local craft stores... Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Joanne and reading labels for sealants.... I think if I remember correctly that Sandra Wall, suggested we could use an acrylic sealer on paper flowers, but I did not use it;  Had I done this in 2006, the year of that class, I could have given you some feedback on paper and sealers.  The problem with sealers is that I think it will mat your fiber, and subsequently the reason why I wouldn't use it.

Oh goodness these critters are adorable!

Tamra

thanks Tamra, I guess its just a case of displaying them ideally in a glass case..... and out of direct sunlight too,,,,I recently had a frustrating mornings work when I left my painted piece ready for furring while I walked my pooch. unfotunately i had left it in full view of the scorching sun in my workshop window and came back to paint peeling off !  so thats a valuable lesson I learnt <_< .

I am more concerned with the light coloured flocked dogs as I feel if they got dusty there would be discolouration,and excessive handling could also emitt residue on to them.

I tend to fur all my dogs but when it comes to shorthaired breeds,but the really short haired ones with good muscle definition and wrinkles(bulldogs,sharpeis etc) I can only see flock as the best method being in miniature form,as i feel i would lose the shape and wrinkle if I furred. 

thanks for all your advice!

julie

Julie,  Oh yes, flocking is going to pick up residue from our hands when we pick up the critters.  Thank you for reminding me of this, as I do have a dog and a cat... the cat is furred, but the dog is flocked. 

Items in a spray can, tend to be solvent based, and solvents can make fibers into a gooey mess... but Judee Williamson instructed us in her Dressing a Bed VHS to spray our ruffles with hairspray.  I did dress a bed more then a decade ago, and my ruffles were still fine and not the least bit messy.... I stripped the bed a couple of years ago and re-dressed so it would be the correct color for a room in my dollhouse.

ah... a light bulb just went on... :)

I think I remember you live in the UK.   There is a product called Polyvine that is water based, and this may work... you can try spritzing the suggested flocked block of wood... Oh, I do not want you to test on a critter at my recommendation, as I know you have a lot of work in the animals.

We used Polyvine in a class to seal the edge of a hem made of chiffon silk...  I did find it in the US with a little research, but if you are in the UK, you will probably find it easier then our US participants.  The key is that it says fabric... fabric = fiber!  For US participants, I wonder if the Ceramacoat varnish is the same concept as Polyvine - I know that waterbased varnishes are also sold at the Art Supply store, like Dick Blick.

www.polyvine.com

"A revolutionary water based varnish for the protection of a wide range of decorative surfaces - for interior emulsion wallpaper, fabric and plaster work...." 

And... definitely "dead flat"... as we don't want shiny pets, except for their noses and eyes!

If you try it, I hope you will give us some feedback.

Tamra

Thankyou Tamra for the superb info, polyvine is definately worth experimenting with and yes of course I will give some feedback of how things turn out.I wont risk it on any critters yet :P

I am also going to try a hairdressing finishing spray which someone suggested to me today so I will let you know the outcome on that too.

have a great weekend everyone and thanks for being so helpful,julie

Archived