Shop made clamps

Mario M

A few store bought clamps kinda fell short in my work shop ( I can't get them tight enough ) so i put together these ...

DSC02494.JPG

DSC02493.JPG

DSC02491.JPG

I can make them as long as i want ( with an extension piece ) and as tight as i want 

I also made some with  plastic for the clamping surface .

Mario, ah... nice to see another solution instead of me holding it together while the glue dries... 

I know we need all kinds of clamps.. but was wondering, why did you chose to make them round vs. square or rectangular in shape?

Tamra

Mario, ah... nice to see another solution instead of me holding it together while the glue dries... 

I know we need all kinds of clamps.. but was wondering, why did you chose to make them round vs. square or rectangular in shape?

Tamra

Hello Tamra 

I make them round simply because the bottom Jaw rotates so it being round like the top Jaw it never needs to be positioned or move when you apply force to clamp. Also the jaws do not deform any when clamping.    Being round like they are

With this kind of clamp you have to be careful not to crush the piece you are clamping.  (This type of clamp is used in violin construction. ) 

I hope this answers your question 

Mario

Mario, thank you for explaining this. It is such fun to learn in this forum. You touched on something on my lifetime list.  I would love to make a life size violin.  Each time I see a short documentary on the masters who made violins, makes me want to find that perfect piece of wood... and to see what would happen.  Although I would have to "deal with" taking wood out of Dear Hubby's wood pile, which has risks.  It would be like him taking a piece of silk from my fabric stash. 

In the US, their is the North Bennett Street School in Boston, MA, and in my head, I imagine that violin making could be something taught there.  They have instrument workshops.  If I won the lottery, I would probably spend some time in Boston, studying...

I think I have also seen these clamps in other miniature magazines, possibly the Scale Cabinetmaker... but I didn't know their original use.

Tamra

Archived