Chicago?

Catherine Ronan

OK all you people that went to Chicago. I don't think I am the only one waiting to hear about it and see pictures. :-)

Pictures Pictures Pictures Pictures Pictures Pictures Pictures Pictures.

Yes Please :D  :D :ph34r:

Sorry, no photographs here.  238 vendors, 17 countries and 34 US States... where do you begin?  I always hesitate to take photos.    I would like to have a press badge for the forum and be able to take photos of our members before the madness of the show.... if anyone wants to contact Tom for permission, then I'll be glad to volunteer.  It would keep me out of the city, and cursing at the traffic.

(50 minutes for 11.82 miles... geez... 4:30 pm to 5:20.... obnoxious amount of traffic to go shopping for silk fibers for petitpoint while in the BIG city, at home that would be about 15 minutes, at the most, at the same time of day.)

Fair Warning, I am not a professional photographer though, just a willing volunteer.

The show was wonderful as always! 

Tamra

Tamra,

I took lots of photos at the 2010 and 2012 show. I first asked permission of everyone I wanted a picture of or their table/work. No one said no but I always asked.

Catherine XXX

Yes, but I always seem to get that weary look....so I stopped taking photos unless I know someone well.  :)

Tamra

This was a new piece that I made as a prototype for next year's Chicago workshop. It got lots of grins and a list of people who really want to take the workshop. Ray Storey made all the lights and chemistry glassware, the big flask has liquid in it and an air system that makes it bubble. Barbara Sabia made the domed glass ceiling. Barbara Vajnar made the cupboards in the corner. The things in the store room are from my own collection. The moon out the window has it's own light, which doesn't show up too well in these pictures, but in real life it's neato. In the back corner behind the cage door, there is a plasma ball that makes cool lightning and the middle of it looks like a glowing brain or something... that's as gory as I could get.

It's still not completely finished in these pictures, but this is how it was in Chicago.

post-470-0-64663800-1430581147_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-36355800-1430581200_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-10395200-1430581235_thumb.jpg

It looks really great Teresa! I love Gothic architecture and you captured it well here.

The photos are great, but being able to see it in person, was even better....and I'm impressed that you have it completed this far in advance for the Chicago International workshop for next year... I am also so excited to see the workshop options, that I try and always go to the late summer / fall Chicago show so I can see the prototypes for next year, even if I have to drive.

There is so much genius in this piece... the bubbles are what got me... I leave wanting to sing, "Tiny Bubbles".

Another installment of a well-executed-TL-plan.  Is it a wizard that belongs in the room, or a mad scientist... my brain keeps switching between a wizard, and an Albert Einstein figure and white lab coat.

Tamra

This is just wonderful! I would love to see it in person. That domed glass in the ceiling is gorgeous! Beautiful craftsmanship.

This piece is amazing! Really great job, yeah I'd love to see it too.

Thank you for all the kind compliments! I had a ball making this piece, and I think the workshop will be fun too. Ray Storey asked me last year if I would be interested in making a mad scientist lab, and I wasn't sure, but as I started thinking about it, I kind of got into the idea. I had to really scramble to get it done for this year's Chicago, but I think it was totally worth it, because letting people see the prototype really got some interest for the workshop.

Since I was designing a project for a workshop, I had to keep in mind the amount of time we will have and so I had to try to keep the building techniques in the realm of actually finish-able in the time constraints and still have them look really good. For this one, I found a great way to make the brick floor that doesn't require the dry time of Paperclay. However, the interior stone walls are still Paperclay because I love the effect.

The moving stuff (the plasma ball and the bubbles in the flask) really make it a fun piece. As for wizard or Einstein, I can't decide either. :)

• 10 months later...

I think Teresa is teaching the class that was discussed in 2015 in this forum at the Chicago International Show in 2016...If I had the opportunity to take pictures, what kind of pictures would the forum folks be interested in?

I know some of the forum members that are selling miniature masterpieces will be in attendance, but who else is going to the 2016 Chicago International?  I will start my journey to Chicago early, early Wednesday am, so I can hopefully get to my class Wednesday & Thursday with Geoff W.  I am planning to use the Chinese Chest in the same room as my Guild Study Class overmantle project that I began last year with artisan Alison Ashby.

I am looking forward to meeting Linda (Miracle Chicken) and Liz McInnis that I've met here on the forum.  I know that my Petitpointer friends Lisa and Elga will be first time Chicago International attendees, I know that Gisele in the forum will be at the Chicago International... but who else is attending?  I've got a whole list of Petitpointers that are attending the Chicago Internationl for our annual dinner Saturday night after the Guild's Presentation. 

Are you making a list in anticipation of the show?  I have only 1 thing on my list this year, that I want to concentrate on..... and I'm hoping to limit my fabric acquisitions... but I would love some lovely silk for a beautiful French gown, and was studying 1700s French / English gowns yesterday on pinterest...

I am definitely making lists for Chicago with the help of the floor plan that was posted last week, first just knowing where the tables are of people that I know very well and want to make sure I get a chance to say hello to, then the people I know online like Linda and Althea and am looking forward to meet. BTW if any of your dollhouse people needs gloves or mittens be sure to check out Althea's table, she has been posting the most beautiful gloves and mittens on her Facebook page in all kinds of colors that are suitable for many different time periods, yesterday she posted a fantastic pair of gauntlets.

And then of course there is my shoppping list, mostly the porcelain and ceramic artists and silk fabric and trims are also on my list.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the Thorne rooms with a group of friends that has grown from four to six in the last few weeks and of course going to the petitpointer dinner on Saturday night

Elga, Can you point me in the right direction for a link for Althea?  I found a FB page under her name, and it has some wonderful photos of skylines, but only the Queen of Hearts Sweater. 

Thanks - Tamra

Tamra, I think Althea's security settings on Facebook might only allow people who have friended her on there to see her posts, my own settings on Facebook are like that, so you will only be able to see profile and cover photos, the rest will be hidden. 

Here is the link in any case

https://www.facebook.com/althea.crome

Thanks Elga, but I'm not a facebook member, so I will have to wait to see Althea's lovely items at the show.  I doubt that she wants to friend my husband or sons... I'm glad that FB members do take advantage of those privacy options.

Catherine, I was breezing through the post from last year, and realized that I purchased Anne's book last November from Amazon.  It is a small world. I was thinking initially the blog, ummm... its all in French, and then I saw Google translation button.  It worked so nicely, I could read it in English. 

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 11:55 AM, Catherine Ronan said:

There are some great photos of the show on this blog. http://ptibonheur.blogspot.com/

Yes, her photos give the viewers a wonderful view of the Chicago International Show!  I am really looking forward to the show, only 2 weeks....?!!

Chris, I also wanted to take Deb Mackie's class... so much to do... I hope she continues to offer classes at the Chicago International.

Tamra

I will be there as well. I'm taking the Wed evening finishing class from Eamonn O'Rourke and Thursday -Lauren Delaney's book class.  I would love to be taking Teresa's class, but too many unfinished structures, already! She is a great teacher!

I'm still hoping to find someone to ride the train in with me on Wednesday to go to the Thorne rooms. Any takers?

I'll see some of you Saturday at the PP dinner and at the auction. I promised Carol a watercolor donation.  

Elga, I have a little gift for you, so don't let me forget.  You'll understand when you see it.

Martha

A gift? Oh that is always nice, I won't forget...I hope, looking forward to meeting you Martha :)

Archived