The Most Successful Creative People Constantly Say 'No'

ElgaKoster

Gee, I must be successful?..... I say NO to about 2/3rds of what I'm asked to do!

So much to do, so little time, plus I have to LIVE!

There is one thing I do know. Articles like that are the bait from websites such as the link you posted. That website is there to make money rather than to inform. It is hosting advertisers who are all acting as symbiotic scavengers on that website host hoping you will swim by so they can take a bite out of your creative time and of course your bank account as well. The people hosting the website really want you to click on those ads. They make it next to impossible to move around that site without clicking onto a link that takes you to an external website from one of the advertisers. Every time you mistakenly do end up on one of those external links the host website gets paid for your error. Its a deliberate minefield and your creative time is the victim.

I say no a lot. I hate having to say no to friends. Someone always has something they want or something that needs to be repaired. People just have no idea how much time things take.

I have a hard time saying no. I usually say I don't have time right now. If they insist I take on the project I do but procrastinate not getting it done in any timely fashion. :P

The older I get the easier it is to say no...we only have one life...and you can never please everybody and do the things that are important to you at the same time...

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading this now. After years of taking on commissions I didn't really want to do, I now turn them

down. This brings great peace of mind! If you don't want to do something, you fret about it and the end

results won't be very good.

I learned to not take on projects/commissions that where of no interest to me a long time ago, if I can't find an interest in it then I can't do it as well as someone who does find it interesting. As I get older and find my mental health issues are affecting me more, I'm finding my productivity at the moment is declining. 

I also believe there are less hours in a day than when I was younger or maybe less minutes in an hour ?.

Unfortunately I had to walk away from a propmaker position on a TV series at the beginning of the week as it had so badly affected my mental health to the point of not being able to do anything creative and that was on a really interesting show with some cool props to make, but the result of saying no has freed up my head and allowed me to head down bum up and get back to some of my own projects, and that is a great reason to say No, you're saying Yes to yourself and you own creativity.

Warren

Archived