Dolls from the Roaring Twenties by Maria Jose Santos

Wm. R. Robertson

For those lucky enough to attend the Chicago show Maria had a real treat for everyone, She is doing more dolls from the Art Deco period. She first started doing these as a commission for the Toy and Miniature Museum in KC for Mulvany & Rogers Art Deco Jewelry Shop……. anyway these are her latest…… you can almost smell the cigarette smoke and hear the music in the background.

For more about Maria….. http://www.carabosse-dolls.com

imagejpg9_zps237773c9.jpg

imagejpg10_zps4e24e76c.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this Bill, her dolls are so life like. As a seamstress though, what strikes me the most are the clothes, they are so realistic, the men's clothes are amazing, I used to make my husband trousers and shirts when we were just married, using patterns from those Burda magazines we talked about the other day, Maria captures the detail so well. And the shoes...well, they just leave me speechless!

I agree Elga.  Her dolls are fantastic and her costuming is just outstanding!  I was wondering if the shoes are perhaps part of the sculpt? 

Thanks for the photos Bill.  I'm loving the big size of them here on the forum, it allows you to see much better detail.

Josje, the photos on her website open up nice and big too, most of the shoes looks like they are made out of leather and/or ribbons. The men brown and white pair men's pair even have shoelaces, her skill is amazing.

• 1 month later...

I have taken a class with Maria and found she is quite generous with her talent.  To me, she is the best in the business.  Her eye for detail and skill is extraordinary.  Kathi M

I'd really love to see these dolls for real. They are just amazing in every point ! From head to toe there are perfection !

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/9/2014 at 3:43 PM, KathiM said:

I have taken a class with Maria and found she is quite generous with her talent.  To me, she is the best in the business.  Her eye for detail and skill is extraordinary.  Kathi M

Hi,  I am interested in taking a class with a doll artist.  Can you share any detail from her tutorial.  What fabric she uses for her lining of costumes or how she makes her shoes?

Regards

Marie