Sabots

miraclechicken

post-51-0-63680800-1423976757_thumb.jpg

This pair of hand carved miniature Sabots replicate a pair from the late 1890's. They are carved from Cherry wood with real leather straps.

post-51-0-89301400-1423976836_thumb.jpg

I ran across this beautiful sign online and noticed the wooden shoes, as I had made a couple of pairs previously. I hadn't thought they were anything but Dutch. I thought I'd look into the French shoe of this type. 

This is what inspired me.

post-51-0-78258300-1423976900_thumb.jpg]

Sabots were worn by the lower class throughout Europe. Peasants were so highly associated with sabots, that eventually, the term "sabot" became a slang name for the country peasants. During France's Industrial 

Revolution, the peasants were called from the fields to work in the factories when all the city folk went on strike. The sabot-wearing peasants did not know how to properly work all the modern machinery, 

which is when the term "saboter" became slang for "to bungle a job" and the word "sabotage" described the act damaging of something, which the peasants inevitably ended up doing to the equipment.

post-51-0-36172100-1423977037_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-24514900-1423977053_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-10931100-1423977073_thumb.jpg

These are the photos I worked from:

post-51-0-76475200-1423977321_thumb.jpg

Those are great.... You really captured the elegant curves of them without making them look clunky. I just can't imagine shoes like those being comfortable but who knows, maybe you get use to them and it has to be better than walking on cobble stone streets in your bare feet.

Thank you Bill and Elga  :)  No I can't imagine them being comfortable. However in the 1970's we had our own version, clogs, minus the horrid point! I had a pair. 

Fascinating history behind the Sabots. The fact you can carve two that match is incredible. There seems to be a left and a right shoe too. Beautiful work Linda!

Wonderful work Linda. They look so real it is hard to tell them from the real ones.

A word about comfort.  I have a pair of Dutch wooden shoes (clompens?) They were given to me many years ago by a girlfriend of the time; her parents were both from Holland.  I wore them around the place for a long time.  They are comfortable if you have heavy wool socks.  The only place they  hurt me was on the top of my foot where the wood put pressure.  They are great on the ground and dirt but pretty slippery on smooth floors.  

Great job Linda!  And Thanks so much for the very interesting history on the Sabot.   Also Thanks to everyone for all the comments.  That is what makes This Forum so Nice!

Wow Linda, that is so neat! Your tiny version of the sabots are just beautiful and the history is really interesting! Thanks for posting this!

Archived