St. Valentine's Day Antique Auction

Teresa layman

I was roaming around on the internet and came across an auction which includes a whole bunch of miniature lots. There is furniture, room boxes and settings, houses, miniature books in book cases (they look really nice), even a couple of Narcissa N. Thorne room boxes. This person collected some really nice things, some of the settings that are up for auction have blue ribbons on them.

The site is www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/67037_st-valentines-day-antique-auction

If the items per page is set at 20, the miniatures lots started showing up around page 24-31.

WOW  - thanks for roaming!!!  Whah, who, whah: actual Thorne rooms???  How does that happen??  Are they real?  

These are not the same Thorne rooms as in the Art Institue........ It is the same same Mr. Thorne. In addition to miniature room collections she created, the first group now in Knoxville and Pheonix? The European and American collection in Chicago she many smaller rooms, vingettes, framed shadow boxes.... These were done for charity and sold through time think the Women's Exchange. They are often made with found objects, findings and fashion lithographs..... Most have a nice visual appeal and many are quite nice.

I have seen a lot for sale over the years, generally from selling from a few hundred to a bit over a thousand dollars.

Thanks for posting the auction link...... I even bid on stuff.....

I watched the auction for a while.... I thought the prices on the miniatures were pretty strong........ Any one else have any thoughts?

I watched for a little while too, I thought it was funny watching the "please bid faster" tag keep popping up in the bid list, especially when sometimes it showed up when the bids were just waterfalling down the line! I was glad to see the miniatures prices were healthy, I don't think anything went really cheap. I thought some things should have gone a little higher for what they were. But there seemed to be quite a few bidders. The good news is everything went beyond my price range so I can still buy groceries this week!

Yep, I attended the Adell Venus Auction, that was a long day, driving in to Chicago/ driving back home (skipping work - there is a price to pay for not going to work,,,, you know I didn't get my work done!!) - but I was reminded of a previous learned lesson that day...  I can't afford my good taste.

It is so cold here; that I didn't leave our home the entire weekend.... So... I skipped the auction on Valentines day and worked on wigging a mini doll... much more fun then the reminder that I can't hang out at mini auctions.  Strange, I do really well at the real life auctions...But I'm very glad for the people who are selling, and for our artists.  It emphasizes the value of our artistic community and strangely for me, rationalizes my -oh-so-slightly obsession with miniatures.

Tamra

Archived