Sign in to follow this  
Teresa layman

The Goode Wyfe Bakerie Workshop Chicago 2015

Teresa layman

This is my rendition of a medieval open-air bakery. Back in the 14th and 15th century Europe, there were baker's guilds in which only the most talented bakers created magnificent picture cookies to show off their skills. The picture cookies, called Springerle, were also a way for the illiterate general population to learn many of the lessons of the scriptures and also to honor special holidays and people.

A few years ago, I started collecting the springerle molds and learned how to make these wonderful cookies. Being a miniaturist I wondered if I could make the cookie molds in miniature.... Hmmm. It turns out I could! So that created the requirement of a miniature springerle bakery to put them in! And voila... the building you see here.

I had several requests to do this piece as a class and so I am offering in Chicago this year. The one inch scale building is about 23" high and sits on a base that measures 27" wide by 13" deep. The price of the class includes all the necessary materials to build the building, plus the custom made antique barn board base. We will be using wood for most of the building, and making stone walls using Creative Paperclay, paints and clues.

Here is the address to the Chicago show workshop page:

http://www.bishopshow.com/chi15ws6.htm

post-470-0-36994100-1423070657_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-93166900-1423070684_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-80144900-1423070708_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ElgaKoster

Lovely work Teresa, that looks like a great workshop to do, I am sure your students are going to enjoy themselves.

Darren Thomas

Great piece! - - would love to be able to take this class!!

Teresa layman

Thank you Elga! I'm looking forward to it, and Darren, you should come and take the workshop! I would love to have you in the class!

miraclechicken

It's so beautiful and has such atmosphere, I love everything about it, what a wonderful class---

Wm. R. Robertson

That looks like quite a workshop...... Those students are sure going to have a lot of fun those 4 days........... A really neat project.

Teresa layman

Thank you Ms. Chicken and Mr. Robertson, it will be intense, but fun. Lots of little hammers pounding lots of little nails... I hope people bring their music and earphones! I actually do A LOT of pre-work, like staining of all the wood and such so we don't have to breathe stain fumes in those hotel rooms we work in.