Fixture Challenge --Cutoff machine

miraclechicken

I'm putting this in the Metal category because it is a metal cut-off machine. It does, in a round-about way, relate to miniatures because I cut a lot of metal for my work and my dedicated rotary tool for metal cutting is really taking a beating when I need to cut something big like a large bolt head or heavy steel (for full size repairs/ projects). I have lots of these (Dremels and one is Craftsman) but I like dedicated tools. I am WAY too lazy to be switching this and that, dragging things over here for this application etc...so when I saw plans (and I use the term loosely) for this cut-off tool in one of my Popular Mechanics Encyclopedias, I wanted to build one. The heart of the machine is a circular saw, which I just happened to have an extra, and old B&D from a dear friend who is no longer with us. The plans in these books are very ummm skimpy, just a couple pages with horrid B/W pics (from the '70's) I think I spent more time trying to decipher what they were saying than actually constructing. Anyhow, I spent nothing $ on this :) Junk is indeed your friend! Everything was laying around in my shop.

post-51-0-91459300-1421034301_thumb.jpg

These pics are the frame. The saw is held vertical, nose down. 

post-51-0-64720200-1421034531_thumb.jpg

This is the swinging work holder. You can see in the back where I put a cable tie on the switch to hold it in the on position. It will be run with a foot pedal.

post-51-0-82635200-1421034618_thumb.jpg

Then you make a shield around it for sparks. I cut holes in the sides for long workpieces. There are two flaps with catches that hook on the angle iron to keep it closed. Nothing fancy here...

post-51-0-02004000-1421034917_thumb.jpg

Close up. the flaps are open to show the work holder. I haven't got my abrasive cut off wheel yet, I have snow and tomorrow, ice....... I just put a 6 1/2" blade in it for a general idea of where everything goes. The real size is 7 1/4".

Nice Job Linda.  This looks like a well thought out project. In our throw-away world now days it is encouraging to see someone make something very useful out of what many people would perhaps just discard.  I'm sure this is going to be a handy cut-off machine for you. Thanks for sharing this.

Thank you for the comment Bob. I throw away nothing! My motto is "junk is your friend". Because it never is junk, just good stuff that I will always find a use for. Today I bought the metal cutting wheel, a whopping $4. 50 -ish. That is my outlay! And truth be told I did spent <$10.00 for the angle iron because the stuff I had was way too big, thick, and heavy. So I have this machine for under $15.00 :) And I got the whole set of Popular Mechanics Encyclopedias plus 3 yearbooks for 5 bucks! Even if the plans do suck.......way fun, thanks again---

ps the ice storm seems to have missed me by inches! I finally got out. 

Archived