A newbie from Australia

Basketcaseminiatures

Hi everyone - my name is Lidi and I have been involved in miniatures for the past 20 years.  My loves are working with Creative Paper Clay on my  1:12th scale miniature structures and weaving miniature baskets both in 1:12th and 1:24th scale.  I live in Nambucca Heads, mid north coast of New South Wales in Australia.

I look forward to "meeting" many new (to me) miniaturists and learning man new things!

Lidi (Basketcaseminiatures)post-500-0-91487100-1417673866_thumb.jpg

Yes, welcome, Lidi! Your baskets are great, can you tell us more about the one on the far right of the photo? I've not seen one like it before - what's its use? What size waxed linen are you using (assuming it's indeed waxed linen)?

The basket on the far right is a potato basket or potato hopper.

I use both 2 ply and 1 ply waxed linen thread in my weaving.  I only use 3 ply when I teach as it is easier for learners to handle and shape.

Well, now I'm embarrassed that I didn't know a potato basket when I saw one! When I Googled images of them, the first few were from the British Isles, but further exploration showed them for sale here in the states, too. I'm even more impressed with your baskets, Lidi, now that I've see the full sized ones - they look exactly like yours! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing more.

That's your Creative Paper Clay on the wall behind the baskets, isn't it? See how fast I catch on??

Archived