Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Bill's miniature handsaw question

Gary

Hi Bill,

I read somewhere in a description of your miniature tools that you had a backsaw I think that had 160 teeth per inch in it, quite the feat.

My saws all have zona blades cut down to shape.  The question I have for you is how you cut those itty bitty teeth?

Gary Graves

Wm. R. Robertson

That would be me Bill, I cut them on a milling machine, to be exact a Aciera F-3 using the z axis. This 1000 pound machine gives me the stability to do really fine work.

Here is a picture of it...... Super high quality, made in Switzerland .......

post-5-0-45805200-1416837950_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-31665800-1416837966_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Gary

Aha. Some serious toolage you have acquired. Thanks! I may see how small I can cut some with the Taig.

jackofalltrades

Looks like you have a DC motor with speed controller on that F-3 !    Oh how I wish I could have one of those or a Bridgeport type mill but can't get one in the basement.

Wm. R. Robertson

Yes, that is a DC motor on the F-3, of all the mills I would think you could get a F-3 in a basement, these come apart in to fairly compact couple of hundred pound chunks. Much easier to move that a Bridgeport, however I wish the F-3 had Bridgeport's spindle to table distance.

jackofalltrades

Having a horiz spindle as in the F-3 would also be attractive.    A Bridgeport is a pain to move unless you have the equipment and people to do it.   Moving equipment is a pain and I have moved casting machines and lathes/mills in and out of my basement using stuff like handcarts and come alongs  but it scares me a bit.  I wish I had a ground level shop with lots of natural light.