Greta attempt.

Bill Hudson

My first attempt at weaving on a Inkle.  The ribbon is 1/16" wide. I had to stop because the tape would not advance and I ended up breaking the heddles while pulling it.

post-35-0-14805700-1415337392_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-62292300-1415337419_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill, do you make your inkle loom? Your first try looks great, and similar to your silk ribbon.  what kind of fiber did you use?

Tamra

More play on the Greta.  I made a modification on the loom.  I removed the right bottom peg and made a oblong peg that is bolted through the peg hole and tightened with a thumb screw.  I am able to tighten up the loom by twisting the long leg of  the oblong peg down against the ends. When i need, I can loosen it up to move the weaving. 

I used variegated thread this time. one gold and one purple.  As it goes there dis white in each one so there is not a consistent pattern.  

post-35-0-11057900-1415432550_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-67661100-1415432414_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-72624600-1415432435_thumb.jpg

I was too tired last night to finish  commenting  on my experience with the loom.  The problem I am having is being able to advance the warp after three or four advances.  The warp gets too tight to advance and I break some heddles.  I used the variegated thread because that was all I could find at the store that was thicker than the first thread for my first ribbon. I set it up as 3P, 2G, 3P, 2G, 3P 1G…etc. I wanted a purple stripe, gold stripe purple stripe and a dashed gold in the center etc..  I did not realize both threads varied to white so my pattern did not show as planned. What I have as a ribbon now looks like an exotic snake skin.   :o I did not keep an even width either.   I could say practice, practice ,practice here but I seem to be practicing my mistakes.  :angry:

PS:  My modification was to give me more control over the tension. It worked to some degree but in the end I had to remove it just to advance; then I had problems with some of the ends getting under it.  So it is back to the pegs for me and figure what i am doing wrong. Just read back through the instructions and realized I have been weaving way too close to the center peg before advancing.

Hope I'm not boring any one.   :P

Oh, it's so important to read the directions, when everything else fails!  :lol: Don't forget that you can pull the outer pegs and move them to the inner holes.

Back on the Greta.  This time I wanted it to look like dots.  This was a 17 end warp with black weft.  I'm pretty happy with this one.  The ribbon is 7/64th" wide and there are 12 red dots to the inch.  My shuttle design really works great, keeps weft on the shuttle as I need it. Lines on the shuttle are square to the shuttle for helping me to keep the weft straight.

I have gone back to using extra peg for tightening the warp.  It work fine to remove the peg to move the ribbon back.

post-35-0-25740500-1415774553_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-31516100-1415772034_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-44244400-1415772044_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-80804000-1415772575_thumb.jpeg

17 ends, heddle ever other one.

post-35-0-44679100-1415772595_thumb.jpeg

So much fun and addicting. 

Here are some more design possibilities. The top one shows what happens when a contrast weft is used, brown in this case. The lower tape has just 2 ends in the center, which throws off the dots on either side - if I wanted them to line up with each other, I'd have to use an odd number so they were all heddled or unheddled. As is, having an even number between means one side of tan wefts are heddled and the other side they aren't. 

This is just one way of writing the layout of warp colors. A simpler format that does not require colored pencils is shown at the bottom.

post-11-0-17242500-1415828087_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-24937700-1415828065_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-85820200-1415828669_thumb.jpg

Oh too cool!  Inkle lessons online!  I think weaving is very relaxing and fun!  Great results Bill!

I hope you'll use the holes in the center of the loom to tension, too, Bill. I often use 2 pegs to tension, but I really tension the bejeebers out of my warps. 

Christa, what are you weaving for now? Bill needs suggestions for how to use all these tapes he's cranking out!

I've used the tapes as Shaker chair tapes, the bands on folding luggage racks, webbing for Maine (Adirondack) pack baskets, and on my fancy hat box lids, besides there are uses for upholstery decorative elements and on clothing, but that assumes one is making upholstered furniture or clothing...

Could these be used as miniature webbing for a folding lawn chair?  Probably not a serious miniature, but it could be another application.

Tamra

Tonight's ribbon start.  20 ends 1/8" wide.  I used Bonni's pattern but used yellow in place of cream.  

post-35-0-21360100-1415947303_thumb.jpg

Yes it would be fun to make a folding chair with webbing. I have not seen a wooden one for many years so don't have measurements or pictures of one now.  

That is really neat..... But weaving is way to complex for me to follow...... I think anything I might weaving would have a unexpected variable shifting pattern if it didn't totally fall apart or end up in a knot. That looks like great fun to be able to just sit in the evening and do this.... Can you watch TV at the same time?

Thanks Bill; I'm sure you could do weaving and really do a good job of it but that is not where you mind works.  Learning the thread sizes and terminology is a real learning curve for me but Bonni has been very helpful with that.  

My eyes are too old for watching TV and looking back to the loom; they just don't adjust back and forth fast enough.  I just close the door and tune my iPad to Pandora, listen to the music and weave.  It as close to meditating as I can find.

I was actually thinking of a metal folding chair.  I don't remember seeing a wooden one with webbing.  The ones I've seen just have solid fabric.

Hi,

It is a lot of work to weave with the Great. But it is so much fun.

And yes I can do this and watching tv at the same time (not a movie).

I use this for upholstery and for clothes. I am trying different kinds of threads and techniques. I will take a picture tonight and show what I am doing.

But at the moment I am knitting in miniature, I am doning nothing else :)

Gr.

Christa

Hi,

Bonni teach me how to do it ;) I think she is better in explain it than me.(but you weave extra thread in it, you also can do it with thicker thread) It is so much fun to look at some magazines en try on your loom what you see in those magazines.

It is also fun to (I try to explain because I am not sure about the english terms) pick up the same color two times in a row so your yellow (for example) will be longer on top than your other color.

Bonni will confirm it that it is so much fun to play with it.

I wanted to be in her passementerie class this year to learn more, but that is in the same timeslot as my own class.

Gr.

Christa

Same pattern as last night but red in  place of green and burgundy for the brown. Each ribbon has been new challenge for me. Either I double wound an end on one  peg or this time broke an end while weaving.   I had a real problem finding the break; ended up being a bad knot at the color change. Of course the broken end was in the middle of the warp.  Took me three hours to finally retrace the end and tie it off. Back int the rhythm; about an inch a minute.  I like this pattern so will try to do several more with different center colors.

Christa, I like that. Bonni is a wonderful,, patient teacher, even at long distance. I am planning on making falls and trim for miniature carriages and trim for baby prams. Falls are actually little curtains that hang down from in front of the seat.  They are trimmed out with ribbons.  It would also make a good fringe for a surrey top.

post-35-0-18525500-1416296921_thumb.jpg

Wow, an inch a minute!  I'm still doing an inch an hour... but I haven't practiced since my class with Bonni.  :-)  Glad you're back in rhythm now.  Oooh, a surrey with fringe on top would be so cool!  Looking forward to seeing what you do with all your trims.

Fringe is what I teach in passementerie after students have mastered weaving tapes. You need a knitting bobbin wound with several strands of the same value threads. DMC works well, because it's softer than thread and compresses in the tape then fluffs out in the fringe. I say they need to be the same value because otherwise your eye reads the lighter strands and the fringe looks skimpy (like an old man's beard) even though it's not. The same shuttle used for tapes is also weaving, to preserve the structural stability of the fringe. The strands on the knitting bobbin are supplemental weft. The loops shown in Christa's photo are trimmed to length later, then pressed. I use a knitting bobbin because it has a slot that keeps the whole thing from unwinding when you let it go. You still have the "real" shuttle for beating.

Bill's done really well, considering I wasn't in the same room with him to slap his hand when he went astray.  ;) Handwoven fringes would be perfect for his surreys! For the baby prams, I see tiny tapes with picots (loops) woven in the same as fringe, only both sides of the tape. You'd want those really tiny, with a #100 silk thread, though, so baby's fingers don't get caught in the picots!

Archived