17th c. Blackwood Sewing Stand with Silver Hardware

Wm. R. Robertson

In digging through some old photos I came across this piece I made in the early 90's and I think I did only 2 or 3 of them. It is made of African Blackwood with 6 and 8 sided tapered sections. The hardware including fancy French style wing nuts is made from silver. A gold gilded18th c. balance cock was modified with a swiveling clamp to hold the ivory bobbins and thread holders. The piece of fabric mounted on this came from a Paris flea market. One of these is in Tom Warner's Tudor Room at National Toy & Miniature Museum.

Someday I should make some more of this sort of thing…. I had so much fun with these complex turnings.

b10c6e6a-0f5d-4602-8b35-1d6f26856265_zps

Lovely, this must be one of the nicest embroidery stands I have seen and I mean full scale antiques here. And something I would still like to make too.

I do hope you make more of these.  I love the addition of the thread/candle holder on the side.  It is the perfect detail.  These are fun for stitchers because you don't have to finish the piece!

• 2 weeks later...

That is a lovely stand!  Is this going to be on the wall in Maine for a class next year? (HINT, HINT!)  But that ribbon doesn't do it justice!  I upholstered a chair in that ribbon, before I got brave and tackled Petit Point!  Tamra/Indiana

Archived