Needlepoint Top Chippendale Game Table

Wm. R. Robertson

Back in the early 80's my Mom and I did a pair of these needlepoint top Chippendale game tables. I did the table and she worked the needlepoint in 60 count. The design for the center came from a Italian magazine possibly named Burta… Mom designed the outside on her own.. it has been a long time so the memory isn't so good. See this link for close up photos of the table's carving under woodworking.

http://www.fineminiaturesforum.com/index.php?/topic/39-chippendale-game-table-with-needlepoint-top/

56d4c1f9-0884-4f9e-9543-8024f62b78c2_zps

d7a0fe52-c91a-4630-a1dc-c9f791093030_zps

One thing I do remember is each table had 33,000 stitches in it. She had a lot of trouble with the background color, some were to light, some dark….. she had put in a corner in background about 4 times and had to tear it our which as you know is pretty hard to do…… a one point out of frustration she tossed the piece on to the dining room table….. like we were the first miniaturists' to use the dining room table as a workbench?….. anyway on the table lay a brown shopping bag which her work landed on and mom looked through the mesh at the bag and said that is the perfect color. So she tore of a piece and headed to the store to get some "paper bag brown" colored silk thread.

I should also mention that so this table would not wrap the top was made from laminating pear wood with a drilled out for lightness piece of stainless steel…… my last job before miniatures was working in a race car shop where weight and strength were everything.

0abd05e6-6afc-4bcc-9ab4-652acb9275d4_zps

Stunning! There is a German magazine Burda that had a needlepoint edition as well, I have a few of their old copies from the 80's with lots of wonderful designs.

I think you might be right, it was Burda…… told you I couldn't remember the details. I don't think I have shown photos of this piece in years…. these are from old 35 mm slides.

I made many clothes out of their sewing magazine over the years and it is still published. There is one photo of the table in Annelle's book, I have always hoped to see it up closer, your mom did a wonderful job with the design. Background color is one that gives many petit pointers headaches...and the term that is used for ripping out stitches...frogging...not sure who thought that one up, as most newcomers have to ask what it means.

Elga..... You want to see it, if you ever happen to be going between the museum in Maysville, Ky. And Castine, Me. It's right on the way. A couple years ago a Guild School student from SA. Happened to be traveling that route and stopped..... There is even a guest room right next to Twin Manors.

You would be welcome to stop any time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great table Bill and your mother did a fabulous job on the design and stitching.  Selecting colors that 'read' in miniature stitching is such a bug-a-boo and provides lots of opportunities to test one's determination and general patience.  Anne Ritter who designs and stitches fabulous rugs shared her method for testing out colors for a new design…. she uses a small segment of the rug design she is developing and stitches it using the colors under consideration.  This gives her an opportunity to see the colors interplay in different densities and when it is complete she has a small pillow worked.  I love this idea as ripping out stitched work is one of my least favorite pastimes and the idea of a useful item at the end of the testing is a terrific added benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

That is one fantastic table, Bill !! I loooove both the stitching and the woodwork .

Archived