Oyster veneering

ElgaKoster

I was wondering, has anybody ever made a miniature with oyster veneering? My husband is busy cleaning out the garden from some pruning he did a few weeks ago, I decided to go and see if there is any useable wood in the pile before he throws it away, as a friend sometime ago asked me if I could make a box for her and it has oyster veneering on it and you don't find twigs for sale :-)

imagejpg1_zpse9eb74a9.jpg

I found this in the pile, it has a very fine smooth grain, it is an indigenous tree/shrub in South Africa, the birds love to feed off the berries. http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/hallerialucida.htm

I love how the center pops and reckon it will look good for this kind of veneering, my slices are about half an inch in diameter, there are smaller twigs too.

The late Barry Hipwell had done a few pieces.... Somewhere in my thousands of photos I have some pictures of them. I'll have to keep an eye out for them to post.

• 1 month later...

I've never heard of oyster veneering.  Have you thought about it any more since you first posted?  I'm intrigued.

No Missy, I haven't had time to think about it again, it is probably a project I will do next year.

I saw this wonderful cupboard in the Rijksmuseum last year, it makes me think of sunflowers

post-6-0-28500300-1403433304_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Elga,

I have got some oyster veneer in my stash. I would not know of anyone who used this, besides mr. Hipwell.

The oysters I have are too big to use for miniature work so I haven't done anything with i yet, maybe later.

But if I remember correctly, in the 17th and 18th century in Holland there were some miniature cupboards done in oyster veneer.

I wonder if some of the miniature pieces you are talking about are in those lovely cabinet dollhouses from the time? I just received a gift of some lovely twigs for oyster veneering.

• 2 months later...

Oh yes, I know for sure there are some, only I can't remember in which house right now. But I am sure one of the other "dutchies" can tell you.When I find some time, I'll look it up for you and post pics

Archived