Cockbeading a drawer

ElgaKoster

I need to do cockbeading on a drawer, any tips for doing it in miniature that might differ from how they do it in full size? I have read quite a few articles on doing it in full scale, but that is going to be a very thin piece of wood.

In Bill R's class this year, we made a beading scratch tool with the back end of an old exacto knife blade.  He rounded over the edge of his flex shaft cut-off wheel with the little dressing stone and used the rounded cut off wheel to shape the scratch tool.

I did a scratch tool seminar with Bill Studebaker the first year I went to Castine, have been saving my old blades ever since. The cockbeading is only going to be about 0.5mm thick, it might be easier to just round it over by hand. I was more wondering about how to cut the rebate in the drawer, in real some do it on the table saw, I think I have a thin enough blade, will have to do some practice pieces first.

I found this really good step by step instructions on how to make full size cockbeading.

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/newarticles/articles_942.shtml

To cut the rebate on the drawer I used double sided tape to attach a piece of plywood to the stop on my table saw, clamps just got in the way.

post-6-0-03122400-1404564486_thumb.jpg

My wood for the cockbeading is 0.4mm thick, now I need to cut it to the right size carefully, it is so thin! Oh yes, sawing the rebates on the drawer took a lot of concentration do it on the right edges, probably not a job for when you are feeling a bit sleepy, which I am today ☺️ On the sides of the drawer the cockbeading doesn't quite go the full depth of the drawer thickness, I still want to see the dovetails I worked so hard on!

post-6-0-86184100-1404564804_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wow, it is a year and a half since I posted on this topic, I have actually sold two of these but never had time to take a decent photo. I am very pleased with how the cockbeading turned out on this drawer, the table dates from 1720 and the original had the most fantastic needlework top depicting a story from Aesop's fables. I am pretty sure it was never used as a tea table, it must have been purely decorative with the needlework inset. The table needs finishing now and the petitpoint is also almost done...oh yes, the wood is mopanie and South African yellowwood.

20160125_182337-1_zpslynttykd.jpg

Archived