Roller Skates…….. and they even have a working skate key

Wm. R. Robertson

This really should be titled how not to make something almost completely by hand........ I did 32 pairs of these........ they are 1930's vintage roller skates in 1/12th scale....... made of nickel silver, brass, steel and leather........ all the parts were cut out with a jeweler's saw........ some of the spec. for the project are there are over 4600 little holes.... 512 of them at .0125" (without breaking a single bit I might add.... that was the best part!!!!)...... 8 holes on the back of each wheel (made a fixture that did each wheel in 35 to 40 seconds including loading the part, remember this was with manual machines) ......10 holes on each skate were cut out to a rectangular shape...... and 8 were taped .80 mm...... the toe adjusting screw is 1.0 mm left hand and the other end .80 mm right hand.... and they work as does the length adjustment......... this was the first project that I have ever done where I can see that CNC stuff would have been better or at least I think so because doing it all by hand could not have been the best way......
skateblue.jpg

Oh wow…. I love toys and these are just superb!!! It's when I see miniatures so perfect like these I wish I had a home to put 'm in! While I read down the list of specs my jaw drop further and further. You must have the stamina of … well what? A bee? A beaver? Or an ant? How does that saying goes in English? Never mind; they are… eye candy!

• 2 weeks later...

Cool; missing is a pair of leather soled shoes with the sole ripped loose where the scar

te clamps clamp on the toes.

• 1 month later...

I just found my childhood skates, and my sister's skates, but no skate key for either pair.  Comparing them to the miniatures is amazing!  Skates must not have changed at all over the years, and must have been pretty standard across makers.

Archived