For me it would the Studley Tool Chest

Wm. R. Robertson

One of the most famous tool chests in the world is the Studley Tool Chest that is if a tool chest can be famous? When this first showed up on the back cover of Fine Woodworking magazine my phone rang off the hook all day with friends asking if I had seen it. As time passed I started a file on it that includes a lot of unpublished material. I even had the chance to help unpack it when it arrived at the Smithsonian.

In thinking about this over the years 1/12 th scale is simply too small to get the full WOW factor out of this. In places there are 3 levels deep full of tools on each side.

I understand a book on it is in the works due out next year.

Ah.... Dreams of this spinning in head.

post-5-0-60791900-1403363039_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-45950700-1403363056_thumb.jpg

Bill, this a fantastic piece, if anyone can do it justice it would be you. What scale would you then build it in if 1/12 is too small for all the detail?

Sweet... which issue of Fine Woodworking?  This project might be similar to Bill Hudson's current Popcorn Wagon - kinda a lifetime achievement project.

You better get working you will need a few years to make all those tools!  I need to get to the Smithsonian!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/the-studley-tool-chest-gets-a-facelift.aspx

Did you see this article online, where they altered the Studley Tool Chest... ever so slightly?

The tool chest was originally on the back cover of Fine Woodworking Magazine, July 1988.

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2014/08/10/studley-tool-chest-exhibit-faqs/

It was on display in Iowa last year, for a mere $25 you could have seen it in person at the Masonic Temple.

The Book, Virtuoso:  The Tool Cabinet and Workbench of Henry O. Studley was published by Lost Art Press in 2015.

Tamra

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Lost Art Press reports a Tool Cabinet has surfaced that is similar to the Studley Tool Chest with its layers of beautiful tools.  I think a phone call to New Orleans or a visit to find out if it is still there should be on all the woodworking tool fans travel list.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2016/03/15/a-tool-cabinet-for-studley-fans/

Enjoy!

How fabulous! I won't be "in the city" until after Thanksgiving and I'll have 4 of the 7 grandchildren with me, so a visit to Rau's that weekend may not work!

I did see a wonderful Roubo style workbench at another favorite antique place in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago. It was very large and very rustic, but still had working vices, etc.  I came really close to coming home with it, but a more sensible side of me prevailed.  Darn that sensible side!

Martha

Martha, I hope you can go see it for us... and do confirm the price for us too... I do understand taking grands to an antique store could be challenging, but I hope you can go see it, as it is really unlikely that I will get there before it sells to someone with deep pockets.

Tamra

This is an old post from March on the Lost Art blog, the link to Rau's says that the chest is not on their website anymore, so I am going to guess it is probably sold.

• 11 months later...

A new modern Studley Tool chest hits the cover of Popular Woodworking Magazine December 2017 issue #236.  "Recreating the Studley"  written by Don Williams...the author of the Studley Tool Cabinet Coffee Table book Published by Lost Art Press.

I am not even close to having this number of tools, but I would love to have a much smaller, portable tool chest for my gravers, calipers, jewelers saw, etc, etc... the problem is how do you plan for future tools?  I am very much at the beginning of my tool acquisitions... 

Oh to dream of french fitted cabinets, inlays, and beautiful dovetails for your miniature making adventures... someday... 

Archived