Vintage silver coffee/tea pot set

ElgaKoster

I bought this set about twelve years ago at a local antique fair for the grand sum of $20. It seems to be a little big for true twelve scale but I like it and think it will look great in my Cape Dutch house.

I am not sure if it is a coffee or tea set, the pot has a strainer on top, it had a lid when I bought it but unfortunately I seem to have lost it, sometime I will ask a silver smith if they can make me a new lid. The set has four cups and saucers. It came with a tray with a Spanish inscription that says "recuerdo de sus ahijados a A.P.I." google translate tells me that means "memory of their godchildren to A.P.I. An intersting little find and something that I never regretted buying as it is quite well made.

Whoever that had it before me cleaned it with a silver cream polish and didn't remove it properly around the handles etc, the silver seems marred in these places, any suggestions as to how to polish it or something that I can do to restore the shine. And is there anything I can use to protect it with as it tarnishes quite fast.

post-6-0-16417400-1403362181_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-59008600-1403362213_thumb.jpg

You can re polish it with a flex shaft and a buff or whatever you prefer. To get the polish out of impossible to get at places like around handles I use tooth pick. Sometimes I sharpen them like a chisel, you can scrape without marring the surface as the wood is soft.

Neat set....

I use Hagerty's Silver Foam. It is a rouge color paste. When I am polishing my miniatures, I cut a small square off a sponge and wet it in water. After I get the pieces polished I wash them in warm water. If there are stubborn spots I use a old SOFT tooth brush under water to get the polish off. That will not scratch the surface.

Archived