Metal Spinning

oz9ny

This morning when looking at the lamp above our diningtable it came to my mind that metalspinning was a technique I wanted to try out.

First I made a simple form of a lampshade from a piece of scrapwood. I dont have woodturning tools but managed to make a simple form anyway. The round bar is an improvised freehand toolrest.

The thin (0.15mm) brass plate is pressed against the form by using a revolving center.

IMG_0253.jpg

The brassplate spins.

IMG_0254.jpg

What tools to use then? the surface should be smooth!

IMG_0260.jpg

The result. Better than expected.

IMG_0262.jpg

From the side

IMG_0264.jpg

Well the lamp will be the classic danish PH5.

Have fun
Niels

I like the idea of using a wrench as a spinning tool, now I know what to do with all those dusty wrenches left over from my cars days.

I have been thinking I should do a workshop in Tune on making one of these classic lamps, I even photographed one of those outside the dining room a few years ago.

I don't know if you saw this but a topic on a trombone making video kind of got off into spinning.....

http://www.fineminiaturesforum.com/index.php?/topic/142-video-on-making-brass-trombones/#entry1167

Anyway, can't wait to see the finished lamp.

• 1 year later...

Earlier, in a different post on the subject of Candlesticks, I think the topic of metal spinning came up.  I found a magazine that discusses getting started I metal spinning.

Home Shop Machinist Vol 21, no. 4, July/Aug 2002.

Tamra

Archived