Working Lock

Gerry Bacsik

Here is another topic that some might find interesting. I have been playing with the idea of a working  lock.

Bill Robertson had designed one for a "Bone Chest" Amazing!!!

Exciting to see how the different ideas come to fruition. Here is mine.

Hope the movie works?

post-65-0-33223000-1400946776_thumb.jpg

Appears the video won't load. Hmmmmm???

Does it need to be in a certain format?

It says I don't have permission to load this type of file.

The video I'm trying to load is 4.8mb Mp4

Any suggestions

It's a collaboration with our dear friend Debora.

Being the expert carver she is I challenged her to trying her hand at carving in the medium of wax.

Later to be cast. 

post-65-0-07352300-1400948986_thumb.jpg

It started with a wax original. Expertly crafted by Debora. "No surprise"

It was then shipped half way around the globe. Where I tried not to destroy the original by building a wax tree, investing it, burning it out, & voila. 

post-65-0-01094100-1400949117_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-39632900-1400949332_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-44645800-1400949342_thumb.jpg

Mmh, interesting, I want to make locks for furniture...drawers and doors...I am sure there must be a simple solution, so far it has escaped me.

Yes,

I take it that a link needs to be set up through YouTube? 

Thank you :)  :)  :)  :)

All be it very crude. It was a quick test to see how the cam would assert pressure on the spring, which in turn, was attached to the cylinder. 

The first was the video I intended to send. 

The second is a 3d drawing of the face plate.

In answer to your question Elga. All the pieces for the lock are posted on the first picture.

Yes, we have taken it to an extreme, with regards to milling & casting. 

That being said, all pieces can be made with simple handheld tools. (Jewels saw, drill bits, engravers, files, & a small butane torch)

The principle of the mechanism would stay the same. The freedom would then be in adjusting the size of the mechanism, & design of the face plate.

What a great process.  Thank you for showing the photos and the video.  I had seen the wax carvings Debora had made so beautifully.  I like your working lock system, which seems simple, although in miniature nothing is as simple as it looks.  

Gerry I can see where you are going with this door lock, I think you are planning on using the door knob itself to lock and unlock the door. In the kind of lock I am interested in I want to use a key, a really tiny key in most instances too. The lock we made last year for the bone chest will only really work for locks with latches or a padlock, I made a padlock last year which was fun, but when I riveted it together it was too tight and didn't want to turn anymore, later this year I want to have a go at it again.

The padlock before I started to rivet it together, lace pins are holding all the parts in place.

post-6-0-19233900-1401105783_thumb.jpg

Halfway through the riveting process when I realized it was too tight and not going to turn, just need to make the turning part a tad smaller next time.

post-6-0-00393600-1401105902_thumb.jpg

I love the lock Elga!!!!

The curious sort I am, would love to know how it works on the inside.

Can you take out the key? 

Why could you not file the rivets off and make the adjustments and re rivet it? Nice lock would like to know how to make one.

Gerry, the key can come out when it is locked.

Bill, I did pull it apart but some of the pieces were damaged in the process, it would be quicker to just turn the parts again.

Archived