Textile Research in London

miniredleader

While in London for the IGMA Classes and the KDF, we did some research - visiting museums, markets, shops, and historical homes. I was with "textile gurus", Pat Richards and Annelle Ferguson. We visited two amazing places, by appointment only. One was Witney Antiques outside of Oxford. More samplers and needlework all in one place than I have ever seen. The other place was a private viewing of needlepoint seat covers and caskets at the Victoria and Albert Museum's new conservation center. For this totally non-needleworker that I am, I was in awe.

What a fantastic opportunity you have had to see these works of art privately!  Such a priviledge!  I am glad you enjoyed it, even as a non-needleworker.  

That has to have been a wonderful experience. It is one I would have loved to have.

This sampler while "primitive" surely is not the work of a new needle worker. So many samplers were done by children or those who were learning. This seems to be someone show off her skills.

The Jane Bostocke sampler that we were privileged to see up close and personal is the earliest English sampler in existence. It is dated 1598 and the variety of stitches and spot motifs were necessary references for the skilled embroiderer for use in decorating costumes and household furnishings. The new Clothworker's Center, the textile center for the V&A, is located at Blythe House. I highly recommend all those interested in antique needlework to visit the center when in London.

Archived