Help! What would you line the interior of these drawers with?

Debora Beijerbacht

What would you choose?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What would you line the inside of the drawers with?

• marbled paper 1, blue
    • marbled paper 2, black
    • marbled paper 3, yellow
    • leather, both black
    • leather, both beige
    • leather, one black & one beige drawer

Hi every one! I'd like your honest opinion on a design matter, cos I feel stuck and don't know what to choose.

I'm building a storage box for a chess set i'd made earlier. I incorporated the chess board that i'd made earlier too and added two drawers on either side to hold the chess pieces. I would really like to line the drawers, but I'm not sure with what.  Here's the thing; what would you go for if you'd line them?

post-10-0-99770100-1400321232_thumb.jpg

Would you go for very finely marbled paper, and if so, which of the 3 colors would you pick? (left side of the picture)

post-10-0-47801400-1400321356_thumb.jpg

Or would you choose ultra thin leather? And if that's your preference, would you do both drawers black, both beige, or one drawer black, and one drawer beige? (right side of the pic)

I'd really appreciate your thought on this.

Thank you all so much in advance for responding. 

Debora

ps. There is a poll feature on this forum, and I've added the questions above in it. Let's see if it comes up  when I post this topic :)

I would use velvet paper which isn't one of the choices in your poll :-) How big are your drawers and how deep? BTW, your storage box looks great!

I would go for dark brown leather on one side and beige on the other..... It would be a good contrast with the chess pieces.

The marbled parers are too big and busy, the pieces would be lost.

Also are you going to have a notched strip to hold the pieces in a row., maybe box wood on the beige side and a rosewood on the dark brown?

In 1952 I purchased a set in Tokyo.  The pieces were ivory and ebony as was the squares of the board.  The drawers had little pockets (?) fitted to each piece and the shoe was lined with silk.

I agree with Wm. I think the papers are too busy. I also think using the dark brown leather on one side and beige on the other would look great!

Well Elga, I do have a beige velvet paper, but it has a rather thick backing, making it totally out of scale. I tried to split it, but it didn't come out as neat as I wish for so I dismissed it. It was my first choice too though :)

Thank you for your comments, everyone!! You've really helped me strengthen my decision to go for the two tone leather :))) I've a brown too, eal skin and perfectly in scale! I'll only have to thin the white one (calf) ever so slightly now to make it match up, but that's easy.

In reaction to your suggestions, I did consider making compartments. It does look very cool! But space is tight. 13x26x4.5 mm. If I'd raised the box it might have worked. But I compromised the drawer hight cos I felt it look so much better in proportion.

Thank you for thinking along, it's much appreciated!!

So how thick is your velvet paper? The one I have is 0.38mm, bought it from a lady in England who sells on Ebay, and it comes in lovely colors.

Beautiful piece Debora,

You must teach a class in marquetry. 

Your work is exquisite. 

Perhaps a class on floors?

I almost forgot to post my selection. There was no choice for black & white so I choose black & beige. "Just to see if it works".

My preference is, black & white. Do you have white?

Your chess pieces are black & white. Are they not?

Black & white leather would compliment the chess pieces. In my opinion it would make a nice color balance with the board and the pieces.

Deborah, that box is beautiful!  I am inclined to line it with a very, very thin cotton velvet though - dark brown would be my first pick... I just think it is more luxury feel and visibly more pleasing to have texture.  I would want plush to protect my hand turned chess pieces!  Admittedly, I do not know what is historically correct, but I found the most wonderful pure white, extremely thin cotton velvet recently, so that may be part of the reason that it is at the top of my mind. 

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts! I finally settled for brown/beige leather cos i feel it has a certain chique-ness to it. Left the eal skin for what it is, cos both drawers need the same sort of leather. So i choose the beige calf skin i'd laying around. I'd to I thin it down to paper thickness first and then dyed one part brown. Here's a few pics.

post-10-0-21408600-1400595524_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-44010800-1400595468_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-23964300-1400595592_thumb.jpg

I finished it the other day;

post-10-0-52691300-1400595731_thumb.jpg

It turned out great Debora...and I like how you made the drawers so it can't pull completely out.

I voted for one of the marbled papers. But afterwards thought the pattern might be too large. If there is a small patterned paper, I would still consider that.

I love the way you stage your pictures. The little things you add makes such a difference.

Well the poll is already over and I do agree with your choice (thank goodness or else you would have to change everything again, haha), but I do have a question...What is the tool you are using to thin the leather?  

What did you use as dye?  Your scraping tool has a mirror edge, and I'm wondering too what kind of tool you are using... Tamra/Indiana

The tool i use to thin leather (and for no other job than this) is a broad chisel. In Dutch it's called a 'leerbeitel' or 'leermes'.  Some English speaking might call it a skiver (?) but it's referred to as a (french) paring knife? Common on the bench of bookbinders to thin leather it's available at tool companies facilitating bookbinders 

Here's what I found in English; 

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=18112

And a little video;

The dye was some dry pigments diluted in alcohol. I had to make a second one cos the first was a bit too red. After thorough drying fed it with some wax and then proceeded to cut it to fit the drawers

Hope it explains?

Archived